Options

v5 to expire in may

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Looks like ceh v5 will become v6 in late may or early june.

Can't seem to find an offical word on this from EC-councils web site, but it is posted other places on the net.

I would really like to do v6, but I have been studying v5 and feel like I am pretty close to testing... Guess I will just go ahead and take v5. I have other things on my list that I need/want to knock out and I don't really want to push them back...
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    When I took the course, my instructor said that Version 6 would be available by June. The course will include more books and more tools, but the test is supposed to be similar and not a huge difference like the version 5 is compared to older versions. This was from my instructor though.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    When I took the course, my instructor said that Version 6 would be available by June. The course will include more books and more tools, but the test is supposed to be similar and not a huge difference like the version 5 is compared to older versions. This was from my instructor though.

Thanks famos.

Now if memory serves you were not overly impressed with your instructor right?

Basically I am just trying to decide if I should just go ahead an knock out v5 or wait...

I got the application number back from the EC council the other day... Was thinking of sitting the exam in early april....

Probably just go ahead and knock it out...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    CEH v6 only 18 months after v5 was released? I wonder if that's the normal turnover period for the CEH exam. I don't see any mention of CEH v6 at The Ethical Hacker Network, except for a lone post in their CEH discussion forum.

I bet keatron will be going to the CEH v6 rollout at Hacker Halted: CEH v6 Certification at Hacker Halted USA 2008
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    CEH v6 only 18 months after v5 was released? I wonder if that's the normal turnover period for the CEH exam. I don't see any mention of CEH v6 at The Ethical Hacker Network, except for a lone post in their CEH discussion forum.

I bet keatron will be going to the CEH v6 rollout at Hacker Halted: CEH v6 Certification at Hacker Halted USA 2008

Yes, I didn't see any mention on the EC council web site either.

I guess I am not going to stress about it. I have been studying quiet a bit for this, so might as well just take the test (hopefully pass) and get on with life.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll give up a few inside peeks.

Version 6 will be 60 modules (a lot of self study/practice ones), which is more than double what it currently is. There is an entire section (combination of several modules) that deal strictly with the viruses and spyware, malware, etc. There's over 6gb of tools now (including the latest stuff).

JD, to answer your question, I actually wont be there. Initially I was going to be the instructor for the ECSA/LPT course there, but had to back out because of some "other" work, I have to be doing that week.

By the way. The expiring part simply means that the version 5 exam will no longer be offered after June. And I hate to disagree with other instructors, but I have to say that having help work on the new exam, it is CONSIDERABLY different than version 5. But this DOES NOT mean that if you take version 5 today and become CEH certified, you'll magically be de-certified in June.
  • Options
    keatron wrote:
    Version 6 will be 60 modules (a lot of self study/practice ones), which is more than double what it currently is. There is an entire section (combination of several modules) that deal strictly with the viruses and spyware, malware, etc. There's over 6gb of tools now (including the latest stuff).
    OK, that's it! I have got to find a way to have my employer pay my way to a CEH v6 training course. I've got a new job as a Security Research Engineer and I need training, damn it! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    keatron wrote:
    OK, that's it! I have got to find a way to have my employer pay my way to a CEH v6 training course. I've got a new job as a Security Research Engineer and I need training, damn it! icon_cool.gif

Sounds like a good argument to me!!!
  • Options
    cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will easily take another 6-12 months before the V5 exams are retired as many ATCs and students are still undergoing the certification globally.
  • Options
    cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to beat a dead horse, but here is an official answer:

Do note however that the V5 exam would be retired early 2009 as V6 would replace it. The V6 course itself will be launched at EC-Council's HackerHalted Conference this June at Myrtle Beach, SC.
  • Options
    Not a dead horse at all; that's the info people interested in the CEH need.
  • Options
    zenlakinzenlakin Member Posts: 104
    Question I have at this point then is are people able to obtain the v6 course materials now to start preparing for the v6 exam? And another question I have, and is probably for keatron, if I were to take a training course is there a specific training facility that is recommended?
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ceh v.6 is now availible on the ec-council site
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Any word on the last day to take v5?? I can't find a set date anywhere???
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Dunno, but I have a one-year voucher and an exam code good for one year that was given to me for v5 last month.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Dunno, but I have a one-year voucher and an exam code good for one year that was given to me for v5 last month.

Yea I looked on VUE and I could schedule as far as this time next year so maybe I will be taking v5 when I get around to taking the CEH.