Options

70-290 HELL!

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
Hi People!

I am new to the forum, just signed up today after reading so many intelligent & good advice posts!!!

Let me introduce myself...

MCP in 70-270 forwarding the MCSA track.

I started studying for my 70-290 in november 2007. Used Measureup & Transcender. Used Microsoft 70-290 book with labs which I used on Microsoft Virtual PC's.

1st Exam was on December 20th 2007 & I scored 341...This was without studying hard at all as I knew I had the second shot offer!

I then studied day & night completing the book, labs and questions....

2nd Exam on February 15th 2008 & I scored 458...

3rd Exam on 26th March 2008...I have gone over everything!!!

What the hell do I do now???

Please help people...

Many Thanks for reading this post!

Raj

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pass, obviously. 3rd times a charm ;)

How are you doing in Transcender and Measure Up? I have found that Transcender is usually slightly more difficult than the actual exam.
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at your latest score report, are you weakest on all areas or a few? I would focus on anything you are weak on. Passing these tests requires an understanding of the material not just being able to memorize/be familar with transcender/measureup practice tests. The best way for the content to stick is to do labs in the book. If you have about 6-12 months of experience working with Windows Server 2003 you should knock this test out of the park.

One last tip taking the test, READ READ READ the question fully. Many times right/wrong answers swing on a single word or phrase. For example:
    You are the network administrator of a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 network. All network servers are running Windows Server 2003. All workstations are running Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Information not important other than the 2003 running on the servers, XP on the clients. Other questions may specify 2000 or NT which will change your answer.
    SRV01 is running Terminal Services. All users in the Development group require access to this server. Users soon report that they receive the following message when they attempt to establish a terminal services session with SRV01:

The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively.

When you log on from your computer, you can successfully establish a terminal services session.

What should you do?

Important information is the server is running Terminal Services, Development group users get an error logging in through terminal services(see above). You(an admin) can log in.
    A. Make the Developers group a member of the Administrators group.

While this would give them the right to logon interactively, it would give the group too much access.
    B. Within Active Directory Users and Computers, add the Developers group to the Remote Desktop Users group.

This would give the developers terminal services access to domain controllers. Since the scenario mentioned only the single TS you should only set the local Remote Desktop Users group.
    C. Add the Developers group to the Remote Desktop Users group on SRV01.

Just right, doesn't give too much access or not enough.
    D. On SRV01, enable the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer option.

If this was not enabled, you(admin) would not be able to connect through Terminal Services. Therefore, this answer is wrong.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    'Techster79' Thank you for all your help. Reading the question carefully is a skill I have learnt today. As you were saying, I am getting high scores on measureup and transcender because I am familiar with the questions.

The labs I have in the book are just so piss easy and really a waste of time.

I only have 3 months hands on experience with server 2003.

I will try another set of resources.

Many Thanks.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Raj20 wrote:
    'Techster79' Thank you for all your help. Reading the question carefully is a skill I have learnt today. As you were saying, I am getting high scores on measureup and transcender because I am familiar with the questions.

Many Thanks.

Couple of things, go through the labs don't be so rushed to complete. Take it all in and understand exactly what is being asked. Nothing is "piss" easy. Nothing can replace actual work experience with the material. If your working in a corporate enviroment go through what your learning and ask someone in your dept who may have more knowledge break it down for you. Hearing it explained in a different flavor and actually seeing it work will stick better in your head than just reading it and trying to "memorize" it.

Take your time during the exam, the questions are multiple choice. Eliminate answers after reading the question and you should have a %50 chance of getting the right answer.

Best of luck...
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I used the same resources as you and found they were fine, but I did have a couple of years experience with 2003 server before I started to study.

What I found worked for me with the wordy questions, was to read the last chapter first as that is where the question is while the first 3 chapters are 'scene setting'. This way I could immediately see if something was going to be relevant or not as I was reading it.

Also, with any question you get wrong (or are not 100% sure about), go and do what it is asking you to do (so in Techster's example above, go and add the 'Developers' group to each of the groups suggested in the answers - the correct answer becomes very clear when you're actually doing it).

Good Luck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Raj20 wrote:

Many Thanks.

Even if you are familiar with the questions, take the time to state why each option is or isn't correct. That will make you think much more critically about the material.

I'm not sure why you're having so many problems with this. I only used Transcender and the MS Press book, and I scored well on my first try. I had no significant prior experience and only studied about a month. If you know the material as well as you're implying, I think you're just rushing through it and not reading the questions carefully. MS usually puts a lot of irrelevant information into the questions, which can distract you from what they're really asking.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Slow down. Don't rush it. If your last score was 458, you will need more than one month of prep time. I like to take each chapter, outline it in detail, and then review it over and over and over. Do this in front of a server so you can see and do what you are learning. You should feel that you've mastered the knowledge well enough to teach a class on it without notes. Then take practice tests. Passing the test should prove that you are an expert on the subject matter. If you don't feel like you are at the expert level, you may want to reschedule.
    (Note my quote)
    Good luck!
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP I HAVE RECIEVED!!!

MY BEST WISHES TO YOU PEOPLE IN YOUR CAREER!

I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED...

REVISION HERE I COME...

26TH MARCH, HERE I COME!!!