TV wall bracket

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

This is way off topic but still technical as it involves a plasma TV

I see wall brackets costing £100 - £150, i also found this which is quite different in price

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displays/TFT+and+TV+Wall+Mounts/TV+%2F+Monitor+Tilt+Wall+Mount+30+to+55%22+?productId=30561

My only concern is putting my £1000 TV on a £22 bracket, even if its perfectly safe and works just as well it feels wrong

Anyone have an oppinion on this, it seems too cheap to be true

Lee H

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Read some reviews on Amazon or somewhere else: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/104-3483229-6183933?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tv+mount&x=0&y=0

It doesn't look like it swivels or anything, so you're basically just paying for a piece of metal with a few holes in it. I would be more concerned if it was something more elaborate.

Just make sure you're well withing the weight requirements. Plasma TVs are really heavy compared to other technologies, like LCD.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a bracket very similar to that one in my living room...it holds a 52" Samsung without any problems.

I wouldn't get too hung up (pun!) on the price of the mount. When I researched I found wildly varying prices without any good explanation for one mount costing significantly more than the other.

What worked for me was thinking about how I would use it...once I realized that I didn't need it to swivel, a very simply piece of metal with holes in it is what I purchased.

Although I wanted the tv in the living room very close to the wall, what I didn't realize is that it can be a very tight fit with a mount such as the one that you've shown.

Also...there are people over here charging several hundred dollars to install the mount and the tv...I've installed 2 in my house, both in less than 30 minutes, without any assistance. I felt like $500 to install my tv was a little high, and I was right. If you do choose to install yourself, make sure that you position the bracket properly over a wall stud....
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Thanks for your info eMeS

Could you please elaborate over the wall stud?? Do you mean make sure you drill into a brick and not the mortar inbetween??

Lee H
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Whoa, brick walls? Fancy!

He's referring to drywall. (That's what people who don't live in castles have)

I think you are correct about going into the bricks, and not the mortar though.
    Hi

Now i see what he meant, these modern houses are made of partition plaster boards, pre-manufactured and then assembled on-site like a wendy house, i prefer all brick walls, adds more sound proof between rooms if ya know what i mean icon_wink.gif

Lee H icon_lol.gif
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Now i see what he meant, these modern houses are made of partition plaster boards, pre-manufactured and then assembled on-site like a wendy house, i prefer all brick walls, adds more sound proof between rooms if ya know what i mean icon_wink.gif

Lee H icon_lol.gif

Down here in Texas usually what we get is exterior brick walls...all of the interior walls are framed and then finished out with drywall.

I think the only difference that you will have is the type of screw you use to attach to stone/brick vs. wood.

MS
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks just like the mount on my 42". Nothing flash, but it does the job I bought it for.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    www.digitaldirect.co.uk

They are quite well priced brackets and tele's

HTH
    Cheapest i seen on that site was £79 inc delivery, it also said 1.25 inch from wall which is really cool

I would gladly buy this if it was the slimmest around

Cheers