Options

Certs, legacy technology, & the DMV

For those who are wondering why some certs throw in questions about legacy technology and its relevance to your cert, I thought I would share this information. I was at the NY DMV yesterday and the nice lady behind the desk was a little slow with her new touch screen monitor. I was told that they had added them this week, and that they had a lot of great options that would help the employees with processing renewals/applications/etc. Despite the new advanced interface, I noticed that they were still using Windows NT on all of the stations.
Now you know why you get those questions. You might work for the DMV some day.
No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.

Comments

• Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually dealt with a client today who relies heavily on NT Servers and Window 98 client machines still and has no plans of upgrading anytime soon.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The job I left a couple years ago was using Windows 95 on the production line at a couple of their factories.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    My hair salon uses DOS 5.0 and dot matrix printer
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    A few years ago I worked for a company that still relied heavily on the Pick operating system running on very old PCs. Known mostly for its database system, the Pick system saw its heyday on the PC between 1984-1994. The unique design of the database system practically guarantees that any software written for Pick could never be ported to any other DBMS.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    We have some old Stratus mainframes running VOS still. All of the programs are written in FORTRAN or VOS C since they are the only working compilers on it at this time. This is of course in addition to the hundreds of command macros in use. We have three programmers that write entirely in FORTRAN for it. A number of databases are maintained on it for one of our Call Centers due to the 99.9999% fault tolerance that has been maintained and the concern for "If it isn't broke don't fix it". We also have a number of very old Unix servers that cannot be updated due to legacy software which breaks if we try. This is all in addition to our more modern stuff not worth mentioning.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mark "Alpha OpenVMS server" for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaServer
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Same company I mentioned before

Their entire transportation system (this is a major textile manufacturer in the southern US) is running off of two HP Vecrta PC's on DOS 6 using an application that was written for Netware 3.x. The network, computers and application do not support TCP/IP at all.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Mishra wrote:
    Mark "Alpha OpenVMS server" for me.
    Nice! It's been a while since I've thought of Alpha processors. I do know a very large health care organization that still uses OpenVMS, but not on Alphas.