Options

CCSP or CEH??

kamalasekarkamalasekar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi

i am CCNA certified...... i would like to do some IT security certification. so what certification can i do? CCSP or CEH? which is having good career????

Thank u.......

Comments

• Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    First, why not both?

If you are trying to decide which Security certifications to focus on first it can be very tough to make a recommendation without additional information. What is your current position and what type of equiptment are you working with?

If you are a Security Consultant doing penetration testing I would likely say CEH first. If you are a Network Security Engineer in a primarily Cisco shop I would definitely recommend both as quickly as possible, but probably the CCSP first to understand the equiptment you are configuring. Don't forget there are a lot of other good Security certifications to look at as well such as the SSCP/CISSP for example if you have experience in the field. You didn't fill out the certifications you currently hold, but if you are looking to move into Security with only a CCNA and don't have experience yet Security+ may be a better place to start than any of the above.

Our resident security guru as already put together a response on how to choose which Security certifications to go after based upon you current situation and your goals. It is far better than anything I could come up with, so I'll refer you to the Need helping chosing Security Certification thread (currently a sticky in this board).

After reading that link if you are still having trouble deciding feel free to post back with more information regarding your current situation for a better recommendation.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Schluep wrote:
    First, why not both?

If you are trying to decide which Security certifications to focus on first it can be very tough to make a recommendation without additional information. What is your current position and what type of equiptment are you working with?

If you are a Security Consultant doing penetration testing I would likely say CEH first. If you are a Network Security Engineer in a primarily Cisco shop I would definitely recommend both as quickly as possible, but probably the CCSP first to understand the equiptment you are configuring. Don't forget there are a lot of other good Security certifications to look at as well such as the SSCP/CISSP for example if you have experience in the field. You didn't fill out the certifications you currently hold, but if you are looking to move into Security with only a CCNA and don't have experience yet Security+ may be a better place to start than any of the above.

Our resident security guru as already put together a response on how to choose which Security certifications to go after based upon you current situation and your goals. It is far better than anything I could come up with, so I'll refer you to the Need helping chosing Security Certification thread (currently a sticky in this board).

After reading that link if you are still having trouble deciding feel free to post back with more information regarding your current situation for a better recommendation.

+1 check out keatron's post it really helps you figure out what you should go for...his analogy of the security field reaching the size of the medical field is really well put I think.