setting up VoIP with wireless connection?

KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I dunno a great deal about VoIP so i'm turning to you guys....

I i have a wireless connection from the building across the road which i have full access to (and currently administer). I am also looking at subscribing to a VoIP service (just the phone line - not the internet connection) which i would like to use with the wireless connection i have access to.

The question i have is, how do i do it? How do i (or should i say, can i) set up the VoIP phone to use the wireless connection from across the road? Can i get it working by plugging the VoIP phone into my laptop (i dont see how this would help??).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Can this be done?

Sure...

If your wifi connection is stable and pretty error free you should be ok.

But speaking from experience it can be a nightmare.

Once I set up a wifi shot from building to building. This wifi shot passed data and voice traffic.

Well the roof of one building was not "controlled" and the owner let anyone and everyone who wanted to put an antenna up there do so. Every time I went up on that roof there was at least one more antenna... Over time all the channels were over saturated and the connection became very unstable. I found out the hard way that data deals with this type of a situation better than voice traffic does. Sure the data slows down, but the voice stuff just sounds like garbage. Now granted this was not a voip service like vonage or something like that. It was all in house....
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So is there anything in particular that i need to do?

Do i just get the VoIP phone and plug into into the eithernet port of my laptop and thats it? Nothing else i need to do?
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No you will most likely need a wireless AP acting as a bridge to connect to the AP across the street. The VoIP provider will ususally provide you a gateway of some type that will connect you to their servers. I would also enable QoS on the wireless network and prioritize the VoIP traffic.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dtlokee wrote:
    No you will most likely need a wireless AP acting as a bridge to connect to the AP across the street. The VoIP provider will ususally provide you a gateway of some type that will connect you to their servers. I would also enable QoS on the wireless network and prioritize the VoIP traffic.

BUMP
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.