Need Help on Wired Vs Wireless Exam paper

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
I'm doing a persuasive presentation for my speech class on why wired networks are better than wireless. If any body has any suggestions on things I might be able to present I would apreciate it. I'm concentrating on ease of use speed and security of both mediums. I wanted to touch base on 10Gbps and 100Gbps layer 1 media but can't seem to find much on it (could be my search parameters) I also wanted to mention some common hacking tools for wired and wireless networks. My point being to hack a wired network you would have to access the user/company premise to hack a wired network you can do it from your car.

Comments

• j938j938 Member Posts: 101
    You could also concentrate on the ease on realiability and limitiations.... So your class may get a better picture if they arent It.... I did the same thing for my speech class

Speed
    security
    realiabilty and limitations
    Growth is limited.
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    thanks. As far as security I wanted to mention some programs and hardware. Don't you have to be inside an office to hack inside a network? I've heard of devices that work a few feet from a network cable to catch packets and other devices that allow you to physically tap a network cable. Also I know there are programs that break wireless encryption as well. So far I touched on the speed, frequency issues with wireless and the fact that 802.11n isn't ratified yet. Price ease of installation (for both) It's only a 5-7minute presentation and I ahve 7 slides so far so I think I'm doing better than I thought I was. I also need to bring in at least 3 visuals to show. So far I'm thinking of a wired router. A cat5 cable and a wireless network card.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Also I know there are programs that break wireless encryption as well.

Wireless security is a major weakness for most networks, packets can easily be picked up and decrypted, WPA/PSK is as useless as WEP when setup with a weak network key.
    (collecting the 4-way WPA handshake or the WEP IV's can take only a couple of minutes)

Depends on whether your looking at home networks or business networks when comparing the two?

A cabled network with no internet facing device is far more secure that a wireless network with no internet facing device. Any AP or Wireless enabled device if not setup correctly could be the hole in your defenses.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Make sure you do a cost management and risk management analysis with the past and current technology, and speculate where wired and wireless might be in the future.
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Thanks I'm gearing this towards home use. The Professor said that I need to make it relevant to the users so I'm just going to mention that programs like airsnort and others can be used to crack their wireless encryption (I won't try to explain how it's only 5-7 minutes and one student told me that A+ is higher than CCNA...that's another story) Man You guys are Great! I'm going to speak about the cost of the networking equipment and I never realized that a spool of cat5 is only $55 dollars. I wish I could post what I have but this is due wednesday so if anyone has anymore ideas feel free to let me know! I appreciate all the help!

Now if someone could just tell me why I can't select multiple items in IE, that would make my day!
    J/k
    I never realized that a spool of cat5 is only $55 dollars.
    Don't forget the cost of the RJ45 wall plates and connectors, the crimper, the continuity tester, and the fish tape to run the cable through the walls and conduits.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    You sure that you picked the right topic for your speech class? I know my professor can loose my Network+ class pretty easy. I wouldn't imagine how a speech class would feel if you started talking to them about it.
    Probably the best way to approach such a speech given to a non-hi-tech group is to educate them on how to install and secure their own home wireless network. This will hook the audience into being interested because it's something they want to know that will be of direct benefit to them.
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    JDMurray wrote:
    Probably the best way to approach such a speech given to a non-hi-tech group is to educate them on how to install and secure their own home wireless network. This will hook the audience into being interested because it's something they want to know that will be of direct benefit to them.

That is definitely an important topic since the large majority have no encryption in place at all. I noticed several of my neighbors had unprotected networks let alone the number you encounter if you drive around with an open laptop. One in particular I reconized and offered to configure it properly for him at no cost and mentioned it would only take a few minutes. He has yet to take me up on the offer after two months and I don't want to be too pushy about it, but there is definitely a need for some education in this area. Most people just don't realize the risks. Even another non-technical neighbor could leach off of his connection or use it for illegal purposes and he wouldn't have a clue.
    Thanks I'm gearing this towards home use. The Professor said that I need to make it relevant to the users so I'm just going to mention that programs like airsnort and others can be used to crack their wireless encryption (I won't try to explain how it's only 5-7 minutes and one student told me that A+ is higher than CCNA...that's another story)

Also, if you are comparing/contrasting wireless to a physical network don't forget to mention that most physical networks are still connected to the internet and highly vulnerable (especially considering the actions of many non-technical users who open every e-mail that arrives, clicks on random links, and has no understanding of firewalls or pack filtering. If an intruder was looking to gain access to their home network no such tap would be needed. Even if the router blocks has port filtering enabed by default their teenage child will likely be taught by a friend how to open that up for online gaming or instant messenger direct connections without the parents ever knowing. Oftentimes home routers are left using the default passwords which can be easily found online.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't just make it a bash wireless/promote wired. There are a lot of benefits to wireless for home users such as lower cost, increased mobility (laptop on the deck when a nice breeze is blowing), no need for renovation for the hassle of running cables and ensuring a strong connection is in place. Wireless encryption will only get better as time goes on and it will continue to become more, but there will always be vulnerabilities to both mediums especially when users are factored in.