Windows Home Server disk corruption bug

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
I was seriously entertaining the idea of buying (at $170US OEM) Windows Home Server to use as a media storage and file backup platform--until I read about the mysterious data corruption problems it has on multi-disk servers. Anyone using WHS?

Microsoft's Windows Home Server corrupts files

Microsoft expands scope of Home Server corruption bug

Microsoft to patch Home Server corruption bug -- in June

Comments

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    However, I don't use it as a central file storage anyway.

There's a method to my madness.

The problem is if you use WHS currently as a central file store, there isn't a supported way to backup the data aside from enabling duplication on a second drive. But what if the entire home server blows up? You'd lose the data in that case. Once Power Pack 1 is released, you will be able to backup your WHS to an external drive, so I'll move my stuff over probably at that point assuming the data corruption bug is resolved at that time, too.

I simply use it to do the automated backup. I also will throw files on it as needed to share with my wife and people over the internet. With my current method though, it means all data is on my PC's plus the WHS, so I truly have a backup.

Notice, the corruption only occurs when editing files directly stored on the WHS.
    Good luck to all!