MCDST ?

GoodhopeGoodhope Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
DOES MCDST(Microsoft Certified Desktop support Technician) is the same thing as CompTIA A+? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    MCDST's troubleshoot desktop environments such as OS's and MS applications used on MS OS's such as outlook, ie explorer etc.... They're like the guys who're supposed to help a person at the call center floor when he can't figure out what happened to his mouse pointer.

An A+ troubleshoots computer hardware problems as well as operating system stuff. This person has more in depth knowledge when it comes to hardware related stuff. This is the guy who carries out surgeries on computers. hehe.

check out MCDST info here.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.asp
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • GoodhopeGoodhope Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey 2lazybutsmart thanks for your ans...., so preferably have a Comptia A+ than an MCDST.OR Both?
    If you're gonna have your own shop around the corner and fix computers, then hey... your A+ will do. But if you plan to work as an employee for a company, then you gotta have the certs required for a specific position. I personally don't think having A+ and MCDST together will mean that much to an employer. In fact, the knowledge contained in both certs in probably in A+ alone.

I see you already have your A+, so why don't you decide whether you want to go for networking, programming, or database design. The most popular track after A+ is usually Net+ (for networking) and then off to MCSA and then MCSE.

All in all; the certifications you want to achieve will depend on what you'll want to do with em.

2lbs.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would go for both. They're relatively easy if you know basics, and up to date technologies, along with XP. I just don't have the time to finish my MCDST.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • SartanSartan Inactive Imported Users Posts: 152
    I took the MCDST...
    A+ is not really a whole like MCDST..
    Network+ is not either....
    MCDST is supporting m icrosoft products in a microsoft enviornment...
    Microsoft has finally created a three-tier approach to network administration: Support, Administration, and Design..

Anyways... I thought the A+ and Network+ exams were better than the MCDSTs.. (as in more technically demanding).

A+ will not ask you how to configure outlook or how to diagnose domain login problems.

The Windows 2000 pro exam (MCSE, not MCDST) exam wasn't anything like either MCDST exams, either.

MCDST is a class on it's own. I guess it depends on the sort of work you're doing: If you're in a company primarily run by microsoft, and you're supporting Windows and want room for advancement, MCDST, then MCSA, then MCSE might be a good career track.

If you're just going for a generic call center, A+ will do.
    Network Tech student, actively learning Windows 2000, Linux, Cisco, Cabling & Internet Security.
  • GoodhopeGoodhope Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your answers, finally I had decided not doing "mcdst".
    Networking is very interested and I have just started sturdying CCNA by myself. The matter from my location is that every institutions offer Cisco CCNA courses only for 3 months and after then u can go 4 the exams,is this normal?I went Cisco website I saw that CCNA courses is divided in four part and the courses last for 1 Yr in colleges.
    The time frame you allot really depends on the method of preparation. Courses tend to take more time than self-study books and stuff like that. I've set myself a 4 month time frame, and I'll see whether I'm being practical or not. I certainly don't think 1 yr is nessesary for CCNA.

anyways, best of luck.
    2lbs.