42 U Rack

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_4210?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

My work is replacing two of this 42 U racks, it includes enclosure on the sides, I still need to find out if the front door will come with it. I'm sure my GF will not be so happy with me taking hom this crap they call... Just wanted to find out your opinion do you think this is an overkill, for my small lab I only got two 2610 routers a few switch and x2 2 U rack mount server and x1 1 U rack mount server...

Just wanted to find out, if this is worth all the hassle, this is going to be labor/time intensive to take home, plus I will need a bigger vehicle, if I cannot mount this stuff on top of my car, I have a rack on top of it...

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    It's pretty big.....I don't think I'd want it on top of my car....but that's just me and my vehicle.

Is it worth it? If it's free plus the cost to move....sure.

Since you state you have a girlfriend and not a wife....whose place is it? IF it's yours, then its really your choice.

If it's hers, then don't.

And you can always buy a door if they won't let theirs go....not a huge problem.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've only seen a couple of people in TE that has 42U, well incase your around the Pasadena area, there's two of this...

I don't have a garrage yet, so I need to really think this well, otherwise it might go in the trash.

I like the fact that I can organize my crap and an option to expand my lab, especially I'm going to study cisco stuff as soon I'm done with MCSE.

As far as the place is concern 50/50, but you know how it is, chiks seems to always have issue with our toys, they want to be the only toy you play around :P ...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Man, I wish I had a truck. I'm down in OC and would gladly drive up to Pasadena to grab a 42U rack. I'd sure like to have one of those on wheels to push around in my garage. It might work better for you if you could hacksaw one of them into two, 15U tabletop racks.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Man, I wish I had a truck. I'm down in OC and would gladly drive up to Pasadena to grab a 42U rack. I'd sure like to have one of those on wheels to push around in my garage. It might work better for you if you could hacksaw one of them into two, 15U tabletop racks.

if if lived in SoCal, then I would have gladly helped you out. Its times like this that im glad I traded my car (which I traded my truck for) and got another truck.

My suggestion to JBaello, you can rent trucks from u-haul or home depot or lowes for $20 for 3 hours. Worth it for that rack, IMO!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    snadam wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

My suggestion to JBaello, you can rent trucks from u-haul or home depot or lowes for $20 for 3 hours. Worth it for that rack, IMO!

Excellent Idea!

Even Ryder trucks many have lift gates so this does make for some great options for you.

Consider you'd pay upward $1200 for a plan rack w/ sides.....you do have a bargin in front of you if you can place it in the castle.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you do put it on the car roof, please take a picture. :)
    Okay Thanks I'll take a pix and post it here, if I ever use my car... still waiting for the new APC racks, before this bad boys comedown... they look neat IMO cause of the enclosures on all sides even on the top...

I'm talking to my brother to borrow his RV...
    The front door comes with it, it was at one of our storage, the top cover/lid is a little bent on one of them, but it's all good, it looks mint and immaculate... I'm thinking to really go forward with this...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This thread made me think of this:

Lumber-Car-A.jpg
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

Excellent Idea!

Even Ryder trucks many have lift gates so this does make for some great options for you.

Consider you'd pay upward $1200 for a plan rack w/ sides.....you do have a bargin in front of you if you can place it in the castle.

even though I know it wasnt on purpose, I cant have JDmurray take credit for my ideas icon_wink.gif

EDIT: looks like i did the same thing! icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    JDMurray wrote:

Saw it in two? so does that mean you need those sparky welding tools they use? or just a chainsaw/metal saw?

I'll update you JD, perhaps we can saw one of them 50/50 :D damn I don't know anyone that done that before...