Installing two Sata drives

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Question on how to install two sata drives in a pc. I built a friend on mines pc this weekend and I installed two sata drives along with two DVD drives. He has one of the newest Asus motherboards with an Intel Quad 4 LG775 chip. On the motherboard there are six ports for Sata,
1/2/4/5 red boot disk and 3&4 black data disk. I have the two sata hard drives on 1&2 and the dvd's on 3&4. First is this correct? Second I loaded XP Prof fine, but the system doesn't see the second sata hard drive, it does see the first one and the two dvd's. In explore is shows C:, D: & E:. Do I need to enable it in the BIOS.

Also, when booting up the OS prompts for a Administrator pw. I didn't set up the system as Administrator. How can I get the system to boot directly to the desktop.
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't really matter which ports you use. I'm guessing the color-coding is for the ports that support raid. Double-check your raid settings in the BIOS and make sure everything is enabled.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would also recco checking the bios. I just installed a second SATA drive for a user, and booted to it not being there. The SATA ports were disabled on the mobo. Changed the setting, booted up good, used Windows Disk Management to format and partition...all good = happy user....
    i remain, he who remains to be....