VPN Connections

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
Can someone please tell me how to setup a VPN connection on a member server. I have setup an access rule on our ISA server to allow this connection through and then ( this is where i am confused) on the member server created a new network connection, setup an advanced connection-next- Accept incomming connections etc, but the remote client cannot connect. I am not sure if this is my fault or the clients fault.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you go through the new connection wizard to setup a new connection that allows incoming connections?

You'd probably be better off by installing RRAS and configuring a VPN that way.

As far as your current connection goes, try connecting to that member server from itself. I believe you can do that just to test your connection. Start there if you want to keep that configuration.

Also, if you're using PPTP, be sure to forward GRE (protocol 47) as well.
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    i decided to go for routing and remote access, but the remote user still cannot connect. I have checked the isa rules and they seem fine. I was wondering if i should leave the DHCP option selected on the RRAS propeties or assign static ip addresses. Also within the users proprties i have selected allow access through remote access policies, or should i select just allow access ? the user is a member of the local administrator group on the server he needs to connect to. Is there something i am missing??
    What is the specific error you're getting? Does it mention something about addresses or the user being denied access, or does it just not connect?

It's up to you whether you want to assign addresses via DHCP or if you want to configure a pool in RRAS. It's also preference whether to use remote access policies or just simply allow/deny per user. It'd probably be easier to just explicitly allow the user during setup troubleshooting.

Can you connect to the server from itself? Create a new connection and try connecting. Be sure that's working before you try from a remote machine.
    It just says error 649 and has a count down to the next connection.
    MS KB wrote:
    The account does not have Remote Access permission.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824864/en-us
    So where do i give the user the remote access permission?
    Sorted. I had allow access using remote access policies ticked. Changed to Allow access and also changed the permissions on the user account and now it`s working. Many thanks for all your help Dynamik.