Options

Need a bit of advice-

bgivens33bgivens33 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am in the Air Force and about to go reserve so I'm going to have to get a real job. I have some work experience(not much) in IT so I was going to add on some certs.

I got an A+ back in high school(~7 years ago) and picked up a few net+ books. CCNA is the path I believe I'm heading towards so I figured the net+ would give me a great foundation. Now that I'm about ready to sit for the exam, I started wondering if I should even take it. Before I start on CCNA, I'm also going to be doing the sec+. I know the sec+ can count as the elective for MCSA(and MSCA:S)... so I don't even really need the net+. If the exam was 50 bucks, I might be able to justify it. I'm not sure exactly what my ultimate "dream job" is... that's why I'm studying a bit of everything. I've always been interested in the security aspect of IT(encryption ect.) and I'm going to minor in math(major is CIS). But I've also fallen in love with Linux, so I absolutely plan on taking the Linux+ and maybe onto the LPI etc. etc. I guess the reason I just defaulted to CCNA was back when I worked in IT, that was THE cert to get for a beginner. So, to wrap things up, what I'm trying to do is find the most cost efficient way to get the best foundation of certifications that will leave the most amount of doors open. I also think the 70-270 is an easy decision... can't hurt you, it's cheap and it's fairly easy. Here is what I'm thinking-

Net+, Sec+, Lin+, 70-270, THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)
Sec+, Lin+, 70-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)
Sec+, LPIC 1, 70-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPIC 2)
Sec+, Lin+, 20-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)

Any thoughts? I feel that with a CCNA, MCP(or maybe an MCSA), Linux experience and Sec+ I would be rather marketable for a tier one help desk position. Still not sure if I should spend the 200 dollars on Net+ just so I can put it on a resume.

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you do get N+, it together with A+ will also fulfill an elective for MCSA. So would Sec+.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bgivens33 wrote:
    I am in the Air Force and about to go reserve so I'm going to have to get a real job. I have some work experience(not much) in IT so I was going to add on some certs.

I got an A+ back in high school(~7 years ago) and picked up a few net+ books. CCNA is the path I believe I'm heading towards so I figured the net+ would give me a great foundation. Now that I'm about ready to sit for the exam, I started wondering if I should even take it. Before I start on CCNA, I'm also going to be doing the sec+. I know the sec+ can count as the elective for MCSA(and MSCA:S)... so I don't even really need the net+. If the exam was 50 bucks, I might be able to justify it. I'm not sure exactly what my ultimate "dream job" is... that's why I'm studying a bit of everything. I've always been interested in the security aspect of IT(encryption ect.) and I'm going to minor in math(major is CIS). But I've also fallen in love with Linux, so I absolutely plan on taking the Linux+ and maybe onto the LPI etc. etc. I guess the reason I just defaulted to CCNA was back when I worked in IT, that was THE cert to get for a beginner. So, to wrap things up, what I'm trying to do is find the most cost efficient way to get the best foundation of certifications that will leave the most amount of doors open. I also think the 70-270 is an easy decision... can't hurt you, it's cheap and it's fairly easy. Here is what I'm thinking-

Net+, Sec+, Lin+, 70-270, THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)
    Sec+, Lin+, 70-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)
    Sec+, LPIC 1, 70-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPIC 2)
    Sec+, Lin+, 20-270 THEN (CCNA,MCSA:S,LPI)

Any thoughts? I feel that with a CCNA, MCP(or maybe an MCSA), Linux experience and Sec+ I would be rather marketable for a tier one help desk position. Still not sure if I should spend the 200 dollars on Net+ just so I can put it on a resume.

If it were me I would go Security+, MCP (270), MCSA and then from there decide if you want to get CCNA, LPI, MCSE, etc.... Of course there is no right or wrong way to do it, it all depends on what you want to do in IT. Going the Sec+, Linux+ and/or LPIC, then MCP route would be good also in my opinion.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I vote for: 270 (or 620), Sec+, 290, then 291. Then either finish MCSE or start CCNA.

IMO, N+ is a waste. Either get your Cicso or don't. N+ doesn't buy you much on the MCSE track. Security+ is the most useful.
  • Options
    bgivens33bgivens33 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    colebert wrote:
    I vote for: 270 (or 620), Sec+, 290, then 291. Then either finish MCSE or start CCNA.

IMO, N+ is a waste. Either get your Cicso or don't. N+ doesn't buy you much on the MCSE track. Security+ is the most useful.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

That's about what I was thinking as far as the N+. If that is the path I want to go down, then I might as well get the CCNA.