Options

Folder/file move from shared directory

I understand that 'Modify' NTFS permission allows users to Delete folders or other actions permitted by Write, R &E - but is there a way to disable the ability to move files/folders out of shares?

thank you.
Cheers!!!!
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    datchcha wrote:
    I understand that 'Modify' NTFS permission allows users to Delete folders or other actions permitted by Write, R &E - but is there a way to disable the ability to move files/folders out of shares?

thank you.
    Cheers!!!!
    In order to do that, You have to deny one of the following:
    - "change" sharing permission
    - "modify" NTFS permission
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would have to disagree with that as denying modify denies read/write access as well. I don't think that it is possible to allow Read & Write & Delete but disable moving. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    I would have to disagree with that as denying modify denies read/write access as well. I don't think that it is possible to allow Read & Write & Delete but disable moving.
    Of course that no, but the question was:
    datchcha wrote:
    is there a way to disable the ability to move files/folders out of shares?
    The only way I know, I told it.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rjbarlow wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    I would have to disagree with that as denying modify denies read/write access as well. I don't think that it is possible to allow Read & Write & Delete but disable moving.
    datchcha wrote:

Actually, all you would have to do is not grant access at all. That's always better than "deny".

There's really no way to keep them from moving stuff except by giving them "read" access only. That would keep them from deleting the file after copying it, which is what a "move" does.

If you allow read access, they can still copy it (and paste it somewhere else) but then you would just make sure they didn't have "write" access in the places you didn't want the file moved to.

Pretty tough scenario all the way around. Not really a good way to do it that I can think of, besides policy.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    rjbarlow wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    datchcha wrote:

Actually, all you would have to do is not grant access at all. That's always better than "deny".
    Yes, I meant to deny not to specifically assign a "deny" permission at all, not grant permissions in most cases is more than sufficient and works better.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music