Options

router for home lab

m_an_bm_an_b Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi;

I am new to the world of MCSE and before getting to far into it, I am trying to put together a home lab to practice with (I have some practical experience, but not much in the way of books).

Anyway, I have two physical machines both with vmware running two copies of win2003 server each (total of 4 servers). So far so good. If I were to configure one or all of the servers to be on different subnets, what kind of router would I need or would my linksys WRT54GL be able to handle this? If it can, any suggestions on how to set it up.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Here's what I use:

www.ipcop.org

There are several others out there like it as well. The box you run it on doesn't need to be much. I was running it on a Celeron 300A with 512M of RAM before the motherboard finally died.

You can then make a Green (regular LAN), Orange (DMZ where I put my lab stuff), and Red (internet) configuration. This way, even if I wanted to open ports to the lab to the internet, my regular network is still protected by the IPCop firewall.

It's also very easy to setup and manage. It requires no linux knowledge.

You can also look at BSD based firewalls such as m0n0wall.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    your linksys is capable of running rip v1/2
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    m_an_bm_an_b Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkuser wrote:
    your linksys is capable of running rip v1/2

As I mentioned, I am just in the early stage of understanding networking. Would it be too much to ask for instructions on how to actually use my linksys to allow machines on different subnets to communicate?
    The linksys' IP is: 192.168.1.1/24
    I have

1 win2003 server with an ip of 192.168.1.15/24

and

1 win2003 server with an ip of 192.168.2.15/24

Any suggestions (or links) would be appreciated.