Options

VOIP

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Gang,

Is there away that i can integrate my std. phone service POTS, add deploy wireless voip or voip via cat5 network?

Not sure what this is called, or if it can be done, but i would like to implement voip internal only.

outside
--->telephone line--->Gateway (of some sort) ----> internal wireless/cable voip
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Simple Dirty way of doing it...

cisco voice router - ( you might already have one, just need a card)
    FXO - to PSTN ( POTS)
    FXS - to normal phones

or if you wanted to actually do a voip system... you could build a linux system that did all you CAC for you and have your wireless SIP phones connect... ( but there is a lot of stuff that is left out of this situation...)

Read this SRND from Cisco, it will give you a better insite into what might go into at least the design aspect....
    Then depending on your budget... you can always go with a home brew or cisco solution. (Also read up on SIP)
    http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns656/c649/ccmigration_09186a0080923473.pdf
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    Simple Dirty way of doing it...

cisco voice router - ( you might already have one, just need a card)
    FXO - to PSTN ( POTS)
    FXS - to normal phones

or if you wanted to actually do a voip system... you could build a linux system that did all you CAC for you and have your wireless SIP phones connect... ( but there is a lot of stuff that is left out of this situation...)

Read this SRND from Cisco, it will give you a better insite into what might go into at least the design aspect....
    Then depending on your budget... you can always go with a home brew or cisco solution. (Also read up on SIP)
    http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns656/c649/ccmigration_09186a0080923473.pdf

Thank you for your help.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    Would i have to configure an ADSL connection on the line that connects to the phone service? I hope to not have to connect the phone service provider, i just want to enable a standard USA phone number to be integrated within my "internal" voip network.

thank you,
    cheers!!!!
    Arrakis
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    datchcha wrote:
    Would i have to configure an ADSL connection on the line that connects to the phone service?
    Only if you want internet access using the same line that has the POTS phone number you want to use.
    FXO - to PSTN ( POTS)
    You plug your PSTN analog phone line into a FXO port -- in the Cisco world that could be (on the low end) a VIC-2FXO port, or a VIC2-2FXO if you have one of the new Cisco Routers. Then configure that router as your voice gateway -- assuming it has an IOS that supports Voice.

For any analog phones or Fax Machines, you need FSX ports or something like an ATA-186. IP Phones get plugged into your data network -- and when VoIP magic is configured, the IP Phones work.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    datchcha wrote:
    Would i have to configure an ADSL connection on the line that connects to the phone service?
    Only if you want internet access using the same line that has the POTS phone number you want to use.
    FXO - to PSTN ( POTS)
    You plug your PSTN analog phone line into a FXO port -- in the Cisco world that could be (on the low end) a VIC-2FXO port, or a VIC2-2FXO if you have one of the new Cisco Routers. Then configure that router as your voice gateway -- assuming it has an IOS that supports Voice.

For any analog phones or Fax Machines, you need FSX ports or something like an ATA-186. IP Phones get plugged into your data network -- and when VoIP magic is configured, the IP Phones work.

Thanks for the help, but my next question my be a little stupid, but I have been playing with EKiga. Are there any softphones that are SIP that you can make a sip-to-sip call with out a third party control? For example just type in the other members IP address or something along those lines. sorry if i do not make any sense, but i have not really adventured into SIP or VOIP all that much yet..

Thank you,
    Jason
    Arrakis
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    How many clients are you trying to support.... I think that EKiga would be good for home use... but if you ever got more then 6-10 users you would go mad.... The scalability is not there unless your users are uber-smart and you do some nice qos for voice and video... But to answer you original questions... I don't know of any phones out there that you just dials IP's... (I guess you could do some really crazy thing with speed dials.) ( But I have never seen it) ( This is all with the mind set that there is no CAC)

Now if you introduce a CAC into the situation you should be able to do a lot of stuff... ( But read that SRND and Read about the SIP architecture. It should answer a lot of your questions... I know its a lot of reading) But good luck.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.