Options

Fast Track to MSCA?

opertobopertob Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for you help.

First off, I know all of you guys study really hard and have the understanding of how what you need to be working as an MCSA. But I need a fast track, and really fast track. I have a few months and will be getting a job that a friend is giving up, and I'll be in. He usually called me to help him with stuff. This job does require MCSA, or MCSE. The funny thing is, you don't use it at at the job, why they want it? who knows. But I have by the end of this year, he'll leave the job already talked to his manager and all I need to do is get this MCSA.

As I mention guys, I know this is not fair to people who spent time studying and understating concepts of networks operate. I am not a total blob, I am A+ Certified, and I never got around to take the N+. I am an A.A.S in Computer Technology/Networking Concentration.

I am ready to spent time reading and studying for getting my MCSA. So please any material that will get me by this really quick will be very helpful. I figure I got April till November to pass all 4 require test.

Just to let you guys know I don't plan on stop there when I get my MCSA. I do plan on going back, and doing labs and hands on, setting up home networks to get the full knowledge on all of it. The problem is I need to hold that Cert (MCSA) in my hand on or before November 2008.

Again guys, please don't look at this as cheating (which it does sounds like), I do want the have the full understanding of all of it, but not enough time before November 2008.

I'm currently doing two jobs and only have about 1 hrs to study. My work day is consist of 15 works hours a day, and it don't leave me much time for study. But if I get all the right material that will pass me the test, I'll suck it up and do it.

Sorry for the long post.. thanks again

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it's cheating unless you're specifically trying to ****. However, your MCSA will likely not be as valuable as someone who has really put the time into it.

Since you already have the A+, adding the Network+ on to that would satisfy your elective, and then you'd just need three more exams. You're stuck with 290 and 291, but you have your choice of XP or Vista. I haven't done Vista yet, but my impression is that it is significantly easier than the XP exam.

MS Press, Transcender, CBT Nuggets, and a virtual lab with either VMWare or Virtual PC will be more than enough to get you by.

You can view the MCSA 2003 requirements here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
  • Options
    I'm defiantly not trying to **** to hold an MCSA in my hand and can't do anything with it.
    I just need it to get this job, and as I mention. I WILL come back and learn all the necessary concepts that comes with this MCSA. I would be ashame to tell someone I'm MCSA, and not know anything if they asked me questions.

The most important thing for me at this point, is to get the cert in my hands so I can get this job. Once I accomplish that, back track and learn this stuff. This is the line of my career, so I would WANT to come back and learn it, and make it as valuable as it is.

Thanks for the reply dynamik, all other suggestion are welcome.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure what type of experience you have, but based on your education, start with the Network+. At will also help with the concepts for 291 when you get there.

Next pick your client exam. I have heard that Vista, config is easy, but it depends how much experience you have with it or XP.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I am good amount of knowledge for DHCP, Leasing IP addresses, group right policy, share folder.
    I've been doing helpdesk support for about 5 years now also. Currently right now I am somewhat of an lesser than a junior administrator, (or not really). But I use AD alot to unlock account, reset passwords, enable account.

I'm sure some studying will put me on the track to get this Cert, and then come back and go more in dept with it.

A guy give me ExamCram, he said if I memorize all the questions and answer, it might change alittle, I will be able to pass it. I'm wondering about that?
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    If you use XP then you wont be too far off from the vista exam, which is easier. Just study up on UAC, aero , and the networking centre and you should be ok. Most of the rest was cosmetic for me.

Just my 2 cents of help.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    opertob wrote:
    A guy give me ExamCram, he said if I memorize all the questions and answer, it might change alittle, I will be able to pass it. I'm wondering about that?

Stop wondering - I can tell you it won't help to do that. However, if you read the Exam Cram book and do the questions, you'll be half way there.

Also, I don't think that doing 3 exams by November is "fast tracking" it, especially if you've been doing helpdesk and some admin type work for a few years. Just be consistent and disciplined with your study time.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk -

What other material would you suggest I get, Another guy just give me a set of CD for 290 and 201 from TestOut.

So so far I'm working with TestOut CD and Exam Cram, I'm planning on user VMWare for practice, good idea?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    opertob wrote:
    sprkymrk -

What other material would you suggest I get, Another guy just give me a set of CD for 290 and 201 from TestOut.

So so far I'm working with TestOut CD and Exam Cram, I'm planning on user VMWare for practice, good idea?

Yes, that's all good (although I can't comment on the TestOut license agreement and whether it's okay for your friend to give you the CD's).

Otherwise, even though you don't have a lot of time, you might get the Microsoft Press books and at least use it for the labs or more detail on topics that the EC doesn't cover well. And if money is no object, then CBT Nuggets are always a good addition to any study plan.

Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk -

Thank for the reply. I'll check things out and see and keep you guys updated on when I am going to take it. I'll look into the CBT Nuggets.
  • Options
    davidbarrondavidbarron Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bro seriously I think studing from April to November is MORE THAN ENOUGH time. I have a few friends who are MCSA/MCSE who did in half that time and a few of them did not have the experience that you do. When you said you needed to fast track I was thinking to get it in 4 or 6 weeks 2 months at the most. 8 months is hardly fast tracking. I think you will be okay dude
    "The future isn't what it used to be" - George Carlin
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSA can be had pretty quick. If I pass my 291 on May 10th~, I'd have earned MCSA in almost exactly two months, considering I 'start' right after I passed my Sec+ test. The thing being though is I can dedicate 2-3 hours each workday to studying. Not to mention the whole weekend if needed. Last Sunday I had a 4 hour DNS session. Luckily I was a DNS admin in the AF so it was partly review, and the new things I learned were sweet. Backup DNS!???? I didn't know you could backup DNS!!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Only an hour a day to study isn't too good, but it's doable depending on your knowledge. November eh?

May - Study Net+
    June - Study Vista 620
    July - Study 290
    Aug + Sep - Study 291
    1 month left over if needed.

I will always recommend Vista 620 over XP 270. The simplicity of the Vista exam is really shocking. This all depends on your knowledge and such. I don't know what you know. But it is definately doable I think.

<I hate it when I respond to 'bumped' posts. But either way I'll submit>
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    I can recommend the Mike Meyers "All in One" book for Network+.

For 290 & 291, do bear in mind that these exams contain sims. Allow yourself plenty of time to work through the labs in whatever books you use for these exams (I used MS Press), so that you become familiar with actually using Server 2K3.

I used VMWare for the labs. Worked fine.

Transcender / SelfTestSoftware practice tests provide good examples of the sim questions - both in terms of the look and feel and the kind of scenarios presented. They're both from the same company (Kaplan).
    -- Dan