Options

SQL: MCDBA 2000 vs MCTS 2005

1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
I'm currently working on my MCSE and wanted to know what you guys/gals think about which SQL path is better. So far my thoughts are:

MCDBA SQL 2000:
Pro's:
- While being a serious 4-exam cert, I would only need to take 1 icon_exclaim.gif exam on top of MCSE: 70-229 (assuming I take 70-228 as elective; I'll also have 291 + 293)
- MCDBA status (as opposed to just MCTS in SQL)
Con's:
- Even though widely used, it's a somewhat outdated platform

MCTS SQL 2005:
Pro's:
- Only 1 exam 70-431 (which means I can take Exchange 03 for my MCSE elective; nice thing to have)
- Newer platform

Con's:
- No MCDBA status

So the bottom line question for me is which additional exam to take: 70-229 or 70-431.

What do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It looks like you have a ways to go on your MCSE, so you might want to wait until August and see if you can use the 2008 SQL exams.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/sqlvs/offer/default.mspx

I'm not experience enough with MS SQL to answer your question, but I thought I you might want to be aware of that.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easy -- go for whatever your company is using. Don't get caught up in the titles that are associated with each cert (MCDBA versus MCTS: SQL Server). You really should be more focused on what skillset would help your career the most.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)