ip summary address

geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
Hi

Working through the BSCI self-study guide and on reading Chapter 2 regarding RIP and "ip summary address" command I wish to clarify the summary address used. Am I correct in thinking that to summarise networks 10.1.0.0, 10.1.1.0, 10.1.2.0 and 10.1.3.0 instead of using the command
ip summary-address rip 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 she could have used:

ip summary-address rip 10.1.0.0 255.255.252.0 icon_confused.gif:

TIA
I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    geezer wrote:
    Hi

Working through the BSCI self-study guide and on reading Chapter 2 regarding RIP and "ip summary address" command I wish to clarify the summary address used. Am I correct in thinking that to summarise networks 10.1.0.0, 10.1.1.0, 10.1.2.0 and 10.1.3.0 instead of using the command
    ip summary-address rip 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 she could have used:

ip summary-address rip 10.1.0.0 255.255.252.0 icon_confused.gif:

TIA

geezer,

Which version of RIP do you use manual summary addresses?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□

geezer,

Which version of RIP do you use manual summary addresses?

*hand waving wildly in the air* would that be 2? *bowing proudly*
    Op that is correct, the only caveat you must be mindful on when summarizing rip is that the summary mask must not be less than the classful boundary.Which means you couldn't summarize with
    192.168.1.0 255.255.0.0.0, 192 is a class c address, so the summary mask must be 24 or greater.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Thanks for that! :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I dont think RIP is part of BSCI but a summary address is a summary address no matter what procotol your using

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-901.html
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    Only going by the self-study guide but RIP gives a good grounding in classful behaviour I suppose and an introduction to summarization as well as being easy to configure. :)