Options

Desktop Ventilation Question

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
Can a dsktop computer have enough ventilation if stored in a cabinet under a desk? The cabinet has two holes, both for cables management. One hole is about 3 inches and the other is 2 inches. There is a door that can be opened and the PC just slides out. The PC is not a gaming machine, its a Dell that's about 4 years old, nothing special, just a basic PC that's used for surfing the internet, checking email etc. At night the PC is shutdown. Just want to be sure there should be no issues with ventilation. Thanks
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only time I have ever cared about heat is in a data center when the AC breaks. You could also care if you are an overclocking guru.

Most of the computers in my parents home go through 100-110 degree summers under a desk without air conditioning and are still running. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since the PC is 4 years old, you may want to crack open the case and check for dust. Depending on the environment, it may be pretty dusty and have difficulty breathing as a result.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Should be fine.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Is it a Gateway? If so, it will probably start a fire.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Most Dells run pretty light on the heat, not counting their laptop units and gaming rigs, so unless it is something like an XPS 700 you should be fine.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't assume it runs cool just because it's old.

As long as you have decent ventilation, you should be fine. Are you able to align the fans with the holes? If you have a side fan that's just blowing into a wall, you may want to reconsider your setup.

Also, it's not like it will explode if it overheats. If you notice it locking up occasionally, you should probably relocate it before something does get damaged.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi
    Is it a Gateway? If so, it will probably start a fire
    lmao icon_lol.gif

This is difficult to answer unless you tell us

what is the temperature of the room?

Does this room have windows to let out some heat?

Will you have any windows open when you are on PC?

Are there any radiators close to the cupdoard were PC will be kept?

In the cupbaord are there any spaces were pcokets of hot air can be?

How many fans are attached to the case?

Have you checked the BIOS to see how hot it gets on normal user outside of cupbard?

My guess is it will still work, maybe you will notice a drop in performance due to heat, who knows

Lee H
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    Open the case up and blow all the dust out of it, including the CPU and video card fans and the PSU. Run the computer in the cabinet with a temp monitoring program (Google for one that works with your mobo). If the CPU and GPU temps stay under 50C then you are good. Running inside of a mostly closed cabinet has the added advantage of shielding the computer from excess dust contamination. If your temps are good then you might actually extend the life of the computer by running inside the cabinet than outside of it.