Options

Would this be a good enough lab for the CCENT / CCNA?

GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
1 x 2950 switch
2 x 2505 routers

New to the Cisco track but been in the field for years and trying to convert to networking. One of the guys I work with used to teach the CCNA track back in the day and thinks this setup should be good enough. Told me that maybe I could add 1 more router in the future for the CCNA but this is probably ok for the CCENT.

Suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!
Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think that you're ideally supposed to have three switches and maybe four-five routers. You also need to consider the IOS versions and memory in addition to just the model numbers. I have a pair of 2501s that run 11.x while my other routers run 12.3. You may have to do memory upgrades and acquire other IOS images as well. You're off to a good start. Consider adding a 2520 for frame relay and keep an eye on ebay for good prices on another 2950 or two. A 2509 or 2511 would also come in handy as an access server. As you start working through your books, you will come across scenarios where you will need more equipment. For example, you'll be able to enter the commands, but you may not be able to see the results due to a lack of equipment.
  • Options
    I did by that Bryant Advantage guide with rack time so I'm looking forward to using that equipment (some day wayyyy off in the future). I'll keep an eye out for more equipment, that's for sure. What other model switches would you recommend or do you think the 2950's are the "baseline" I should be working with for the exam?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Cisco Press books use 2960s, but 2950s should be sufficient. I wouldn't go any lower than 2950s, especially if you plan on going on to more advanced studies. I've seen that you can get by with some older switches for the CCNA, but I personally wouldn't spend my money on those. There are tons of different opinions on the subject, and there's not really a right way to go about it (which is why lab question threads are a huge percentage of the CCNA forum).
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Just my a couple of thoughts.
    Have at least two 2950's, three would be better. VLAN's, trunking, VTP, STP, RSTP. You can do way more for the money, and I believe the 2950/2960 CLI is what you'll see on the test.
    Get at least one router that can trunk. So maybe add a 2600 of some flavor with a 12.3 IOS and you should be able to cover most things.
    Lots of other suggestions, but 2x2950 and add a trunking-capable router and you should be able to cover most objectives.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    In all honesty though some equipment is better then nothing when I did my CCNA i had 1 Cat 2924, a 2501, 2502, and a 2514. I passed with that being my lab and I didn't feel under prepared at all when I took either exam. So Ideally the more equipment you can afford the better, I know my buddy who just passed only used my stuff for the hands on. I would say though for the routers you should have at least 12.3 and up. Just my 2 cents! :D
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    . I would say though for the routers you should have at least 12.3 and up. Just my 2 cents! :D

Thanks for the reply. For a router that will run 12.3 and up which version(s) of routers would you (or anyone here) recommend?

Thank you!
    G.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    When you look at the routers, look also at the "sh ver" output. If it shows 12.3, then it will run 12.3. Unless you have a source for IOS images, just buy the router with 12.3 on it.
    If you want inexpensive, get a 2500 with 16MB DRAM and 16MB Flash.
    It goes up from there.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Glynixx wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. For a router that will run 12.3 and up which version(s) of routers would you (or anyone here) recommend?

Thank you!
    G.

All 3 of my 2500s ran 12.3 so if you look you can find some for pretty cheap...