Options

Last minute questions...*PASSED*

147147 Member Posts: 117
Well, I'm feeling pretty good about the 290 material finally, and since I've already got the day off I scheduled the exam for Friday morning. Despite feeling well prepared, though, I'm getting those last-48 hour jitters that I can never seem to shake off so I'm trying to tie up some loose ends.

First, I've noticed a lot of talk about WSUS vs. SUS on the 290. My copy of the MS Press book is a few years old so it only discusses SUS. I've seen a lot of opinions on this, but no one seems to clearly answer whether or not there major differences between SUS and WSUS. If so, where can I find a quick study guide on the material? Since most people only cite having one or two of these questions anyway, and that those are fairly easy, is it even worth crunching the material into my last few hours of study time, or should I focus on something I know I'm still weak in (like some of the obscure IIS material).

Second question concerns Sims...I mean sims. If you are working your way through the problem and feel like you made a mistake, or you just want to start over, is there a reset option like there is in the Transcender practice tests? I guess the real reason I'm asking is to find out whether or not the test takes off points for playing "Hide and Seek" on a couple options, or if it only counts points for when you submit your "Final Answer". I know I can find my way around ADU&C or some of the other popular applets without too much trouble, but if I'm hit with one that I haven't used too much I'm going to rely on intuition and hunting to reach the result.

Or, am I just overthinking all this?

Thanks for your help on this, everyone.
Fear is the absence of Faith.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    147, it's been awhile :D

I think most of the talk of WSUS is for 291. It wasn't covered on my 290 exam.

However,
    Manage software update infrastructure.
    from: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx is a bit ominous.

There are differences between SUS and WSUS. Most of the discussion I see now is whether the questions are WSUS 2.0 or WSUS 3.0. I believe, if anything, you will be dealing with WSUS 2.0. 3.0 has been out for awhile, but it's probably still too new to be on the exams. I'm not sure if they're even updating the 2003 exams anymore since 2008 is out.

I'd just look over the documentation and install it if you can: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

While it would be difficult to answer questions without being familiar with it, it's really straight-forward. Just click around a bit, and you should have it down. You might also want to reference the GPO settings that control windows update as well. Finally, remember to prefix the sus server with http://. I was consistently getting that wrong on my practice tests, and it seems like something that would be important.

You can reset the sims. Also, they work much better than Transcender (which can make things more difficult because Transcender doesn't let you go to areas for things that aren't related). It behaves much more like an actual Windows environment.

I always get nervous before an exam too. If you've put the time in, you've probably just got some jitters. If you're really feeling shaky, reschedule. You know best. Good luck!
  • Options
    Punctual as ever, Dynamic! :) It has been awhile- I decided to just focus on studying and lurking around the message boards for tips for a couple weeks until I was ready to take on the test.

Thanks for the good information on the test. The fact that the sims can be reset takes a load off my mind. I'm sure I'll nail every one of them now, as long as I take my time and read what the question is looking for. I briefly looked over the WSUS info on the MS web site and decided its too much work with too little payoff with the time I have left.

I'm not going to worry about rescheduling. I'm feeling pretty confident about the material I've gone over, and my practice test scores are decent. Besides, if I fail I do have the second chance to fall back on, but I hope I won't need it since the testing center is an hour away.

BTW, what is your opinion on the MeasureUp exams that come with the MS Press book? I found a few of the questions to be a little off the wall, while the majority were fairly close to everything else I had seen. The only problem I'm having is with the software which cuts off part of the question for some reason, so I can't always make an educated guess with some of the problems.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Measureup was just discussed the other day: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=207437

You should look over a couple of the WSUS guides if nothing else. On my practice tests, I would not have known how to answer the questions if I hadn't had some exposure to it.
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/d446d310-413f-4844-8aad-c557712397401033.mspx?mfr=true

Good luck.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    SUS is history now, but what it accomplishes is pretty close to WSUS, so if you understand what they do you should be fine.

I think I might have had 1 or 2 questions, not specific, general.
  • Options
    Thanks for that link to the MeasureUp discussion. After I posted last night I did a few more questions and I started getting really disturbed. Combine bad training material with last minute jitters, and I'm borderline breakdown! icon_lol.gif

I've been able to wrap up some of the last minute stuff. Thanks, Brad, for the info on the WSUS questions. I feel pretty good about the SUS stuff, so knowing that the WSUS material is general and in line with SUS makes me feel better about that.

I'm still shaky on some of the special permissions, but I think I have the big five down. After running through some of the practice questions online I'm more aware than ever that the answers will depend on reading the questions VERY carefully. With 3+ hours to work with, I'm not too worried, though.

I probably won't post my results until early next week since my in-laws will be down for Easter. Thanks again, guys.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Don’t get too stressed about the sims. IMO they are the easiest parts of the exams. Most options in the sims don’t work and you generally can only perform the task one way, so if you know what you need to achieve and how to do it it’s pretty simply. Good luck
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    147 wrote:
    I probably won't post my results until early next week since my in-laws will be down for Easter. Thanks again, guys.

B.S. I want that pass post ASAP. You can fill in the details later.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:

Wow so demanding dynamik!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

Well, if you're gonna be like THAT about it!

928 icon_cool.gif

5 Sims
    2 WSUS (Thanks, Brad, they were no brainers)
    ~90 minutes to complete

I know I said I felt confident, but I was really surprised by how easy the test turned out to be. There were a total of 7 questions that I wasn't completely sure about, and I apparently picked a couple of those right, too. My best exam score yet (including CompTIAs), so I'm prety happy about it overall.

I suppose I'll march in step with the rest of the lemmings and take on the 291 next. :)
  • Options
    Great score! Congratulations icon_thumright.gif

As bad as 291 sounds, it's probably still better than the in-laws. Keep a book on you at all times ;)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I wish I was given an option between the in-laws and the 291. :) I'd be all over the 291 right now.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ha-ha, you overstudied icon_wink.gif

totally kidding!!! Very impressive score and welcome to the 291 study club!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security