Options

MS Outlook troubleshooting?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
What are some common procedures when troubleshooting Office outlook? I've setup POP3 accounts with Outlook express and know how to check basic things like username and password, checking if other users are having the same problem, checking internet connectivity, etc. Not sure how different Office Outlook and express are.

I have a interview tomorrow and I know they are going to ask me about outlook troubleshooting. o_o
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    taktsoitaktsoi Member Posts: 224
    1) How do you import and export pst file?
    2) How do you create profiles for different email accounts?
    3) How do you acrhive?
    4) What port does your POP3/SMTP email server connect? 110/995 or 25/465?

More information will be welcome
    mean people SUCK !!! BACK OFF !!!
    The Next Stop is, MCSE 2003 and CCNA.
    Bachelors of Technology in 1 More Year.

-Working on CCENT. Thank you my love <3
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you can download a trial and play around with it. As far as POP/SMTP goes, it'll be identical between the two. It really depends how far in-depth they go into outlook-specific features.
  • Options
    I've seen IMAP accounts and they were rather confusing. I guess I'll just be honest about what I know and do a bit of research before tomorrow. I've got to take a train across LA at 6AM. >_<
    bah, hope I get it.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I've seen IMAP accounts and they were rather confusing. I guess I'll just be honest about what I know and do a bit of research before tomorrow. I've got to take a train across LA at 6AM. >_<
    bah, hope I get it.

If you don't know the answer don't try to BS them, it won't work. If they ask the question they already know the answer. Show them your willingness and ability to find solutions to those things you do not know....
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Number one thing to know that I don't see many technicians know: a message with corrupt headers in your inbox/outbox can stop your ability to send and/or receive e-mail. I see lots of techs get stuck for hours troubleshooting that one for some reason.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Oh really?

My interview was decent, but definitely not great. They had some tricky questions that took me a while to answer. One simply question that got me was:
    "How do you create a .pst file in microsoft Outlook."

I responded that it would be automatically generated when email is received. icon_sad.gif
    They asked me some other questions I know like, "how do you change the location where the .pst is stored?" though I couldn't give them an exact location within outlook.

He tried to get me with, "how do you map a network drive from command prompt?" but I'm familiar with the net use command. :)

The company was Northrop grumman, btw. I doubt they'll hire me unless the other candidates just really sucked. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    KGhaleon wrote:
    The company was Northrop grumman, btw. I doubt they'll hire me unless the other candidates just really sucked. icon_redface.gif

Even if you don't get the job, you're getting interview experience, which will make the subsequent ones go more smoothly. Hang in there; you'll get your break eventually.
  • Options
    Ah...haha... icon_eek.gif

cough

I got the job. I may have been the only candidate.
  • Options
    Hey, congratulations!

Glad things have turned around for you. There's no need to be so hard on yourself. You seem to have a good handle on things.
  • Options
    Woohoo! Good job KGhaleon. I had been getting a bit worried about your situation out there. Congratulations on that! So how hard did they grill you during the interview process?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes a Congrats is in order, well done!
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    The interviewer was mainly just reading off a paper from what I could tell, and hit me with eight or so questions. The ones I mentioned above and some other ones like:

"How would you instruct a user to change an IP address from static to dynamic?"
    "A user says they are getting a "no OS found" error on bootup. How do you troubleshoot this?"
    "A user has a hard drive which is failing. What steps would you take to recover the data?"
    and one or two other questions. My mind was reeling due to a project I was working on that same day, so I wasn't in my best condition.

Oh well, I still plan to study up on the topics and learn all I can about the company and my work now. I have Office 2003 so I'll setup some email accounts later and go over troubleshooting techniques.

The questions that really hit me hardest during the interview was a couple of nontechnical questions. I rarely get asked these during interviews, so I never prepare for them. :)
    "Why are you interested in this position?"
    "What is one thing about yourself that could be improved?"
  • Options
    I hate those questions like "Why are you interested in this position?" because it usually feels like such BS to say something beyond "Because it pays."
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    I hate those questions like "Why are you interested in this position?" because it usually feels like such BS to say something beyond "Because it pays."

Jesse Joyce (comedian) has a bit he does on his CD where he's being interviewed, and the interviewer asks him what he can bring to the company.

Um.. a stapler? I kind of assumed that you guys had this covered. I really don't have a lot of things, which is kind of why I was looking for a job. I was under the impression that you offer some sort of a work-for-money exchange program.

It loses nearly everything when posted on a forum, but I thought it was a great response. I'll look for a clip on youtube or something when I get home.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Congrats with the job. I actually worked with Grumman field techs awhile back. I worked on a help desk and one of the companies that we supported (Adecco) outsourced their hardware repair to Grumman for HP/Compaqs. So basically I would get hardware tickets, verify the information, and dispatch Grumman field techs on a need by need basis.

Anyways... you should really get familiar with Outlook in an Exchange environment. I noticed some of the interview questions that they asked you were in correspondence to this. You would be correct in the sense that a .pst file is automatically created in an SMTP/POP3 setup but with Exchange your email is stored on your mailbox located on the Exchange server. From that point on you would create a pst file if you wanted to store your emails locally. Know the differences between Outlook and Exchange vs Outlook as a POP3 client.

I'd highly suggest setting up a virtual lab with Exchange and Outlook and see what you could learn.It doesn't take much to get Exchange working internally and it always helps to understand the server-side of things too even if you don't want to be an admin.

Just so you know, if you end up going to a branch location of Adecco, 9 out of 10 times you're going to have an HD in hand with a fresh image and you're going to have to set up their email profile for Exchange. Not only that, I can't imagine what else they would bother you for when they see an IT guy on-site. icon_lol.gif Adecco is all females so have fun!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    The interviewer was mainly just reading off a paper from what I could tell, and hit me with eight or so questions. The ones I mentioned above and some other ones like:

"How would you instruct a user to change an IP address from static to dynamic?"
    Well honestly this is a personality problem. When you are so set on your ways then you usually become static so it takes a good turn around to be able to take on most things
    "A user says they are getting a "no OS found" error on bootup. How do you troubleshoot this?"
    Obviously you would open the CPU and try to find it.
    "A user has a hard drive which is failing. What steps would you take to recover the data?"
    I think you misspelled that on your paper... It probably is suppose to say "falling". And if it fell and doesn't work then you can't use it anymore. Just buy another one at best buy
    and one or two other questions. My mind was reeling due to a project I was working on that same day, so I wasn't in my best condition.

Oh well, I still plan to study up on the topics and learn all I can about the company and my work now. I have Office 2003 so I'll setup some email accounts later and go over troubleshooting techniques.

The questions that really hit me hardest during the interview was a couple of nontechnical questions. I rarely get asked these during interviews, so I never prepare for them. :)
    "Why are you interested in this position?"
    "What is one thing about yourself that could be improved?"

Horray for KGhaleon. He isn't poor anymore!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    My start date was moved to April 7th, boo.

In other news...I seem to have an annoying sore on the gum of my mouth. It's been there for a week. I won't make a new topic for this, but do you guys suggest having it checked? I don't know what that would cost and I'm pretty broke right now...so I'd rather wait it out if I can. :o
  • Options
    Rinse with hydrogen peroxide for 30 seconds each morning and night after brushing your teeth. That should help it disappear swiftly.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually rinsing with bleach can remove the sore and make your teeth white! Beware, your gums may be sore due to it taking some skin with it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Surprised nobody has suggested potassium cyanide or sodium cyanide yet at the rate this is going, must be the taste...

If you have regular dental cleanings/exams including an oral cancer screening I wouldn't worry too much about it. If not it could definitely be cause for concern as oral cancer can be fatal. The health of your mouth is strongly tied to the overall health of your body so be sure to brush/floss regularly and don't skip the dental exams. Even if you don't have dental insurance you will probably end up paying more in the long run if you short-cut it.

Typically any type of sore in the mouth is due to a break in the outer layer of the gum, lip, or tongue. You have a strong mucous membrane especially on the lips that prevents against infection but usually results in an ulcer if broken (accidently bit your lip a few days before the ulcer appeared for example and didn't even remember it).

The recommended treatment can vary depending on the cause. If it is a canker sore (often red or sometimes with a white covering, also known as an aphthous sore) there is usually little you can do for it and it typically goes away within two weeks. If it persists longer than two weeks it is likely not a canker sore and should be checked out. Canker sores are more common in women or both males and females between the ages of 12-30. If it is a Canker sore you are better off not trying to not to irritate it (acidic things such as Sodas/Citrus fruits or excessive brushing/chewing).

If it is a cold sore it is likely from the Herpse simplex virus (HSV-1 or Herpese 1). If the virus is shedding saliva can transmit it to another person. These ones can tend to scab over and often recur at or around the same site and can be more painful than most ulcers and harder to get rid of.

If you are have a lot of standard ulcers appearing regularly you may want to ensure you have adequate Vitamin C intake over anything else, but Folic acid, Zinc, Iron, and B12 deficiencies could also be a part of the problem.
  • Options
    That sounds copy and pasted from somewhere. ;)

The sore is still there, but it's not bothering me anymore. It must be going away. My teeth are really sharp, so I guess it's no surprise if I might have bitten myself at some point lately. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    My gums apparently healed themselves, so I'm glad it was nothing serious. I barely have money as it is...and my new job got pushed back a week. I was suppose to start this week, but then they moved it to the 7th. Now this morning I'm told that it may be the 8th. grah

Oh well, I have Professor Layton to keep me busy. ;)

and I was wanting to take my 70-270 before starting my new job, but I don't know a good day to take it. The weekend would be good, but I don't know if Prometric operates on saturday or sunday.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Glad to hear it improved. You only have three days left until you start, so it isn't very long now.

By the way, you are always welcome to check any of my non-quoted posts to see if they are copy and pasted from somewhere icon_wink.gif.