Controlling data on two NICs

GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
One issue I am having is figuring out where the data is going when 2 NICs are installed.

For example, if I ping 192.168.0.1 I don't know if the pnig is meant for NIC 1 or NIC 2.

Is there a way to control the applications to use a proper NIC?

Comments

  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,060
    The ping should go to the NIC with the interface configure for the 192.168.0.1. Also are the two NICs on different networks or the same network?
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    gojericho0 wrote:
    The ping should go to the NIC with the interface configure for the 192.168.0.1. Also are the two NICs on different networks or the same network?

    Different network.

    NIC 1: 192.168.0.100
    NIC 2: 192.168.50.100
    Server: 192.168.0.1

    In theory ping should be able to go through, but it is not.

    I have a feeling ping is going through NIC 2.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you have set for your subnet masks and default gateways on each nic?
  • GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    dynamik wrote:
    What do you have set for your subnet masks and default gateways on each nic?

    NIC1:
    IP: 192.168.2.100
    Sub: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DNS: 192.168.2.1

    NIC2:
    IP: 192.168.5.100
    Sub: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: blank
    DNS: blank
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You said NIC1's ip was 192.168.0.100 earlier. 192.168.2.x and 192.168.0x are on different subnets with a mask of 255.255.255.0. If that information is correct, neither NIC can communicate with any 192.168.0.x machines.
  • jwedlundjwedlund Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just finished a class where we used virtual PC with 2 NIC's and i think the only way to get the two networks to talk to each other is if you use Routing and remote access on the server and take out the gateway from Nic 1
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jwedlund wrote:
    i just finished a class where we used virtual PC with 2 NIC's and i think the only way to get the two networks to talk to each other is if you use Routing and remote access on the server and take out the gateway from Nic 1

    Here's an example:

    [192.168.0.0/24]---[Server]---[192.168.1.0/24]

    If machines on the 192.168.0.0 network want to communicate with machines on the 192.168.1.0 network, you're correct. You would need to configure RRAS for that.

    However, he's just trying to communicate with machines on a particular network from that machine. Since he's directly connected to that subnet, there is no need for him to use RRAS to communicate from that machine. It looks like he just needs to tweak his TCP/IP settings.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,353
    Change your binding order in your NIC properties if you want one used before the other. This will modify the routing table.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
Sign In or Register to comment.