Options

Inverter or LCD Panel?

dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have an HP laptop and the LCD panel just went out when I was using it. No warning, no flickering, just died. I can still see the panel rendering what's on the screen it just isn't being backlit. So what is the more likely culprit? Inverter or the lamp (which is in the LCD panel and looks to be a pain in the butt to replace so I'd just replace the whole panel)
The only easy day was yesterday!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This just happened to me. It could be either, but I think the inverter is the most likely culprit. I ordered a new one, but it did not fix the problem. I ended up just getting a replacement panel because it looked like replacing the backlight would be a pretty involved and delicate procedure.

edit: I agree with undomiel. The inverter was a breeze to replace.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    More likely to be the inverter, which is also a whole lot easier to replace than the bulb in most designs.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Yeah the inverter is my thought too (maybe just wishful thinking). If that doesn't fix it I may just buy a new one, $250-300 for a new LCD panel on a 3 year old laptop may not be worth it. Looking at the way the panel is put together I won't try to just replace the lamp, it seems like a house of cards.
  • Options
    Just an update, a new inverter took care of the problem, thanks for the help.