Options

What should I do next?

fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I just passed 70-291 and now I got my MCSA 2003. I am so burned out on tests right now and studying, but I'm trying to figure out what should I do next. I was thinking about going for my MCSE but I was interested in doing some certs that will complement my now current MCSA. 70-293 would be next but I've burnt myself out doing these 5 exams in 6 months, working, and tending to my wife and kids. What should I do next?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is there anything else besides MS products that you're interested in learning? Maybe now is the time to start playing around with Linux or Cisco. Maybe give the Security+ a shot as well. I found that one to be quite interesting.
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I felt like that after finishing the MCSA too.

Personally, I took a couple of months, took the Linux+ exam and did a Vista cert before I finally finished off the MCSE.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i too felt so felt so burned out it was unreal (or at least to me anyway)

anyway i have decided that i want to change course a little and go the cisco track for abit. all i would say is enjoy whatever you decide to do because i think that is the key to it.

and if you do decide to go to something besides MS then you can always go back to it.

but remember, i personally believe enjoyement is the key.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I've looked at doing the CCENT just to get a brief break from MS and then going on to 70-293, but I've thought about doing 70-293 and then 294 since I've been reading that the material overlaps and since it's still fresh on the brain. I might just take a month off from studying though.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could always just take it easy too. Read 5-10 pages a day, just to keep things fresh in your mind. At the end of a light month, you'll have made significant progress through the book and still feel refreshed.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I know how you feel, BUT, I found once I stopped studying it was very hard to start again, so....

My advice, tough it out, do 293 asap, it follows on from 291 and does not have that much more study. Whilst your brain is still with Microsoft I would recommend finishing it as its difficult to "get back on the bus" so to speak.

I sympathise with you as I also have a wife and 2 kids. My attitude is another few months and its over, so go for the MCSE .. Good luck :D
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice.....I'm going to go ahead and try to finish up the MCSE track before Microsoft Second shot ends in June. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I think you're making a wise choice. Not to beliddle MCSA, but MCSE is the Microsoft cert people recognize the most. When I had MCSA only, people didn't even know what that was.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I think you're making a wise choice. Not to beliddle MCSA, but MCSE is the Microsoft cert people recognize the most. When I had MCSA only, people didn't even know what that was.

i have noticed this too - its not unknown but the mcsa gets very belittled. or so it seems to me
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    nel wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:

i have noticed this too - its not unknown but the mcsa gets very belittled. or so it seems to me

Irritatingly, I found this too which is why I got forced into continuing the MCSE path because the employment agencies weren't passing my cv on with only the MCSA. Most had no idea what it was.

Bunch of idiots.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I became an MCSA last May, I had previously been a CCNA but let it lapse. I had decided before passing 70-291 that CCNA would be next. I became kinda lazy and it took until October to get my CCNA. I just finished the MCSE: Security track (270, 290, 291, Secuirty+, 293, 294, 299, 29icon_cool.gif. From my experience it is all downhill after 70-291. If you have a goal even if it is a year away, go ahead and knock out 70-293.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is a very difficult time to determine what is next. FOr me, I'm looking forward on the new MCT or MI... something because I know my work might need it. So, go with whatever that help your work first.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    So I decided to go ahead and take 70-293 and I passed with a 745. So now I've went ahead and started studying for 70-294 and it doesn't seem too bad. After passing 70-294, I'll take 70-297 then 70-620 (a nice "give me" and break) to finish up my MCSE.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I know many people doing the Vista exam as an easy out, but you're cheating yourself. Go for an application cert like Exchange or SQL instead. That will increase your marketability far more than passing the Vista exam.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Congratulations on 291 & MCSA.

Wife & kids more important than anything. My advice would be to slow down on the certs and spend more time with them.

Plenty of time to get MCSE 2K3. I had 4 months between 291 and 293 but I didn't feel that it was a handicap.

Good luck.
    -- Dan