Options

ssh

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm have trouble with using ssh. Right now on my laptop it's giving me "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.100 port 22: connection refused". When I get on my desktop and use ssh then I can connect to my laptop. My desktop has ubuntu ultimate and the laptop has suse linux 10.3. I can ping both of the machines. The thing about it is that one day I had the ubuntu desktop, suse laptop, and a ubuntu ultimate live cd in another laptop going using ssh and vnc viewer. They all were connected by cable to a router but I couldn't connect to the fourth computer in the basement when I tried. I've tried to look up ssh online but I still get the same results. Any suggestions?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you have an ssh daemon running on the computer you are trying to connect to.

Depending on your distro you can try:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start

or

service sshd start

You'll still want to configure the sshd service to start automatically too.
    You also want to make sure your firewall allows port 22 through.

There's a few other possibilities, but those are the most likely to check first.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And you also may want to make sure that you've set sshd to start on boot (default seems to be run level 3 & 5 but I'm not the expert on these things ... yet) as that's one I forget from time to time. I also usually forget to open the port in the firewall as well so you will want to check that like sprkymrk mentioned.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i'll make sure to tries these steps. Thanks for the information. I think ubuntu likes to be evil at times icon_mad.gif
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****