Options

Best way to use Transcender?

hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
Im using a Transcender for the first time on a Microsoft exam and Ive taken the first test and got 62%, I took the second test and got 57%. After each test I wrote down the answers which caught me out. And im going to go over those again.

But should I take the third test? Repeat what Ive done before? Revise all of my notes and then take a final random question test looking for a high score to pass.

Or, do I need to go back to the drawing board, revise chapters in my books again and look to get a high score in the third test? Then take a final random question test.

I dont know if I should be memorising the type of questions that catch me out to get a final high passing score, or getting high passing scores first time out.

Anybody got some advise what to do?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's what I do. As soon as I finish a majority or all of the material that relates to one of the Transcender sections, I start going through them five at a time, and then I loop through those a few times until I get it down. I make sure to understand the scenario and why each possible answer was or wasn't correct. I turn on the option to remove them from the pool once I've answered them correctly, so I'm left with only the ones I get wrong or haven't got to yet. I keep doing this until I have no possible questions left. Then I reset the counter, and go through entire groups at a time. I repeat that until there are no answers left again. Once again, I reset the counter, and then have it randomly select 50 questions. I keep going in groups of 50 (or whatever is remaining) until I've exhausted the questions again. Keep in mind, you have to focus on describing why each option is or isn't correct. If you can't do that, you're just memorizing the question and won't get anything out of your practice. If you can't do this, intentionally get it wrong, so you can review and have it come back up later. Also, your practice tests will lose all predictive value if you do this. I'm ok with that. I prefer to use it as a study tool, not a gauge of readiness. As soon as I'm consistently getting 90-100%, I know I'm good. This is just my method, and there's other ways to go about it. Figure out what works best for you and do that.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thats roughly what I do too.

I study the material first. Then when I know whats going on, I start testing. Even when I "know" the material, i may score only 40% the first time through...which I guess is ok. I go through 10-15 at a time, until I've done all the questions. I read every explanation the first time through as well. Then I reset the counter, go through them again....and then again. I only do 10-15 at a time, cause they burn me out. I can usually do 2-3 sets of them an hour.

With the answer explanations, I also think they're a better study tool than a readiness gauge.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    OK cool. Its not how I imagined I would be using it but Ill probably do the 3rd test repeating what I did before and then do what you two do and hit the questions again in short repetitions until Im getting a consistently high score. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hey thats a handy-dandy method you have there -brad and dynamik! Thanks for the tip.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote:
    Here's what I do. As soon as I finish a majority or all of the material that relates to one of the Transcender sections, I start going through them five at a time, and then I loop through those a few times until I get it down. I make sure to understand the scenario and why each possible answer was or wasn't correct. I turn on the option to remove them from the pool once I've answered them correctly, so I'm left with only the ones I get wrong or haven't got to yet. I keep doing this until I have no possible questions left. Then I reset the counter, and go through entire groups at a time. I repeat that until there are no answers left again. Once again, I reset the counter, and then have it randomly select 50 questions. I keep going in groups of 50 (or whatever is remaining) until I've exhausted the questions again. Keep in mind, you have to focus on describing why each option is or isn't correct. If you can't do that, you're just memorizing the question and won't get anything out of your practice. If you can't do this, intentionally get it wrong, so you can review and have it come back up later. Also, your practice tests will lose all predictive value if you do this. I'm ok with that. I prefer to use it as a study tool, not a gauge of readiness. As soon as I'm consistently getting 90-100%, I know I'm good. This is just my method, and there's other ways to go about it. Figure out what works best for you and do that.

BUMP
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    dynamik wrote:

Great method.

The same way I approach the MS Measure exam questions.

Review your missed answers. You will learn most by your mistakes and you will be prepared for the exam.

don't be afraid to fail the transcenders and use them as a study tool along your path of reading.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills