Are the exam questions as picky as Transcender?

penberthpenberth Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was feeling pretty good about taking this test. I went / read through the MSPress 70-290 book, did very well on all the end of chapter tests. And I also went / read through the Exam Cram 2 70-290 book, did pretty good on all of the end of chapter tests.

I took the two practice tests at the end of the Exam Cram 2 book, I got an 81 and a 78 on the two tests.

So now I started with the Transcender tests, and am getting a little discouraged.

The one practice question asks about saving event logs, and how to do it.

The question states something of the following:
You want to save the event logs of all your servers on your local workstation. How do you do it?

The one answer was: " On your local workstation, open up event viewer, connect to the local machine, and save the log as a .evt on your local machine."

Or the others were use remote desktop, etc.....

I picked that answer, but it is wrong as you can't connect through the event viewer remotely and save as an .evt locally on your system. Only as .csv or .txt.....

Neither book that I have covered this at all.

Is this really the level of pickiness of the actual MS exam? Or is this just the typical Transcender exam being harder than the actual MS exam?

I'm not complaining, I just want to know if I need to delve deeply and know every intricacy and nuance of every tool.

Also, how many questions are on the exam? Is it the typical 60 questions? Just curious as the transcender tests were only 45. Thanks.....

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've found Transcender to be slightly harder than the test, but it also helped with things that weren't covered in the book but were on the test. Just run through the questions and make sure you know why each possible answer is or isn't correct. Transcender typically provides excellent explanations.

Your experience is close to mine. It's easy to get discouraged because you thought you were done with studying, but hang in there. You have a little more work to do, but it'll be worth it.

Exam info can be found here: http://techexams.net/microsoft/70-290.shtml
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I've passed 4 microsoft exams in my lifetime and never used Transcenders.

I've passed 6 Cisco exams and used no Transcenders, but I did use some Boson.

Who needs Transcenders?

I'm not rich and I pass the exams. I'm no genius by the way :)
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:

Which ones? You only have 2 MS and 1 Cisco listed. Older ones, maybe?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The only Transcenders that I have used have been the 10 question Demo exams. I was always satisfied with a good book and usually the practice questions that came with the book.

I do have to admit that even the Demo Transcenders questions seemed more difficult than the practice questions from books... And once I finally took the real exam, I could honestly look back and say that the Transcenders seemed more difficult than the real thing.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Goldmember wrote:

Who needs Transcenders?

I believe it's common knowledge that they are not required to pass exams. I like them because they force me to really work through and apply the material. They expose me to many more scenarios than my study resources do, and I feel like I develop a more complete knowledge by using them. This knowledge extends well beyond just passing the exam. Everyone has different methods of learning. Some people like using Transcender as a resource. It's not a big deal.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    dynamik wrote:
    Goldmember wrote:

Who needs Transcenders?

I believe it's common knowledge that they are not required to pass exams. I like them because they force me to really work through and apply the material. They expose me to many more scenarios than my study resources do, and I feel like I develop a more complete knowledge by using them. This knowledge extends well beyond just passing the exam. Everyone has different methods of learning. Some people like using Transcender as a resource. It's not a big deal.

+1

Couldnt have said it better myself.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goldmember wrote:

Who needs Transcenders?

yea, but they sure f'ing help!!! icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • penberthpenberth Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I am scheduled for April 2 for the exam. That was the soonest the testing center had. So that will give me a little extra time to study for the exam. I've used the Transcender tests on my 70-210 exam awhile ago. I passed that on my first try...however, I don't know what my score was because that was back when MS was just issuing a pass/fail for the exams.

Overall, I feel pretty good about the material. I did pretty well on the practice questions in the book. I did very well on the practice questions on this site. I was doing OK on the Transcender exams for the 290, it just seems like they are looking for the very obscure situation, and then inquiring about that. Its cool though. If I get them wrong, I just make sure I read the explanation and commit the reason to memory.
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    I don't think the MS tests are even close in pickiness to the Transcender exams. The MS tests are tricky, but they don't try to trip you up as much as the Trancenders do.

That being said, I still recommend that you study the reasoning behind every question you were wrong on, or even guessing correctly. The information in those answers was extremely valuable to me in passing the real exam. You've already sprung for the Transcender material- you should benefit from it by sucking the knowledge dry.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
    147....that is exactly what I am doing. I am going through all of the questions, and whether or not I got them wrong, I am reading all explanations.

The Transcenders have a decent bank of questions, but there are bound to be repeat questions. The second time around, I usually remember seeing the question and what the answer was....but this time I can at least explain to myself the reason why it is the correct answer. So as I take the exams, I am learning as I go.

Hopefully in a little over a week from now, I will be starting on the 291 exam.
    I just wanted to give everyone that is following this thread a heads up that I passed.