Options

How should one list an MCSA or MCSE certification on resume

How should one list an MCSA or MCSE certification on resume? should you list each test individually or Just put MCSA or MCSE ?
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Listing the title of your cert is appropriate. Most hiring managers won't care what exams you've taken, so long as you have the cert. There's a lot of debate on whether or not to list MCSA in addition to MCSE, once you've completed the track, but my two cents on it is this: there's nothing in the MCSA track that isn't included in the MCSE track, and the MCSE covers more than the MCSA does. So, once you have MCSE, listing it on its own encompasses everything that came before it, (MCP & MCSA).

The only distinction I made was to list that I was MCSA on Windows Server 2003, but left it at that, and I plan on doing the same once I'm MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have just listed mine as "mcsa" and if i had the messaging part i would just put a single "mcsa:messaging" of like slowhand said if i had the mcse i would just state the mcse unless it was on different versions
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No one filtering through the resume pile gives a crap about the tests that you took, just list the certs and maybe the ones in progress (if you have made significant progress on one). If you make it to the technical interview, the IT guys might ask you which tests you have taken - I was asked this one time. But it doesn't belong on the resume.

Regarding the different flavors of MCSA and MCSE, today I list MCSE:Messaging on 2000 and 2003, since they are different Windows Platforms. I don't list the MCSA or MCP (lesser MS certs) or the MCSE without the :Messaging. When I get off my butt and take the Sec+ exam, I'll have :Security and I'll list that for both 2000 and 2003, because it's a different specialization.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I wouldn't list it unless there's a distinction somehow. For example, I used to just have MCSE, but had MCSA: Messaging, so I'd list both.

As for listing MCP items, I do list them if there's something that's worth mentioning. For example, I used to have only MCSE: Messaging, but I would list within MCP that I had Designing Security for Windows 2000 network to highlight I did have some certification for something security related, but I didn't list core exams that would obviously be needed for MCSE: Messaging.

The point here is don't gratuitously drop cert names to "fill up space". Put the things down that are truly helpful for someone to hire you. Always remember that those doing the hiring are more likely to not read a resume that is too long than they are to appreciate all the subtleties within your certifications, so don't put something in there that's not worth reading, so the hiring person will more likely read the things that are worthwhile.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I would list both the MCSA and the MCSE, since most HR people don't know the difference. It can only trigger something when your resume is being scanned.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shon541 wrote:
    I would list both the MCSA and the MCSE, since most HR people don't know the difference. It can only trigger something when your resume is being scanned.
    To this point I would say list what the job advert lists as a requirement or preferred cert, plus anything higher.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I would list them all...if you receive a certificate for it, list it. All of the keywords will get picked up multiple times and may actually get your resume in front of human eyes. I would list MCSA and then list MCSA:M, then MCSA:S...I would just list MCSA:M:S. If you are tight on space,t hen exclude, but if you aren't, put them all on there. Most HR personnel can't tell the difference, but when they aee all of the certifications, they would definitely think you were the "man"!! :D
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The following example isn't exactly a resume but I think it deserves mentioning.

Most of the books I've read for my exams have had sections about the authors, contributors and editors, where they have listed all the Cert titles they hold.... They all seem to start with the highest.

Example:

Some Guy (MCSE: Security, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MCP, A+)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you always want to start from the highest certication because it sale the most to the HR or recuriter.

You want to list your Master degree or any advance degree first.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    deztswfcdeztswfc Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd list both certs, I have MCSA in windows 2000 and am studying MCSE in windows 2003 so the MCSA doesn't count towards the MCSE (except my windows 2000 professional exam).
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Just list it any way you feel will get you the appropriate job.

If I was hiring I think listing all exams would be great, but most HR managers and personnel won't understand the difference.

Its possible you might get an IT manager that recognizes the different certifications.

For instance

You could be

MCSA 2003
    MCSE 2000

In that case list both.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    CertAddictCertAddict Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used to list just mine like MCSA: Messaging, MCSE until I got feedback from one of the headhunters where he was questioning my knowledge on Exchange. honestly, it is that bad. IMHO I will keep using both and in case some of the knowledge required is covered by any of the exams included in my certification, I will detail it just in case :D .