Options

Few questions...

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
I set up a VMware lab for my 290 prep and have a few questions:

Why doesnt bridged networking work while NAT does right away. NAT doesnt need any changes from a user's perspective...

I wanted to remove a virtual machine from the system, looked up the internet an it said I should go into File > Remove from inventory. That command sure removed the virtual machine from the vmware console. But an ipconfig on the physical machine shows 2 vmware adapters. Surely this means that there are 2 virtual machines. This seems to be the reason why the physical computer has slowed down (1 gig RAM in all) as the RAM's getting split. How do I ensure the unwanted virtual machine is removed?

A weird thing I noticed is when I wanted to join the virtual machine (another server) to the domain, the admin login for the server/virtual machine didnt work. But an account with admin rights worked ??
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What version of VMWare are you using?

Your VMs aren't going to use any resources if they're not powered on. I guess VMWare's background process might take a bit, but it should be negligible.
  • Options
    I am using the free server download from vmware's website. I realise that the VM arent using any resources when not powered on, but why does the physical computer show 2 vmware adapters?

Also, will this virtual machine (server) be a memeber server automatically? I know this might be a silly question but I am still climbing the mountain.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VMWare just installs a couple of network adapters in order to handle communication between your machine and your VMs. You might be able to add to or remove them, but I've never had a reason to mess with them.

Your VM will not be a member server automatically. It will be a stand-alone server until you join it to a domain.
  • Options
    Thank you for the quick reply, dynamik. I have joined it to the domain so that makes it a member server. I wanted to join the virtual machine (another server) to the domain, the admin login for the server/virtual machine didnt work. But an account with admin rights worked ??
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    VMWare usually creates two Virtual Adapters for each machine when you set them up. This is just like having two network cards in a machine, it has nothing to do with the amount of devices on the network.

You can change, remove these within the VM properties. To remove the machine from your system depends if its a stand alone VM or part of a domain etc.

If its standalone just remove it from your HD and VMWare Console.

If its part of a Virtual Domain/Workgroup just remember to remove it from the domain (inc. user/computer accounts) including any other tasks that are relevant. (Demote DC etc) Depends what the machine is used for.

As for adding the machine to a domain it needs to be an domain account that has the user rights to do this, by the sounds of it you attempted to user the local admin account which wouldnt have the rights unless you granted them. The restriction is not at the server end its the rights the account has within AD.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools