Options

Resolve ESX Host name from within Virtual Machine

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Ok so you have set up alerting and a particular server alerts lets call this VM1.

You RDP to this machine and find a VM Cluster Node is down so you want to restart the VM machine on the ESX host.

You look for the details of which ESX host you need....... There isnt any....

How can you resolve the ESX Hostname from within a VM?

Is it possible? icon_confused.gif
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Is the guest OS on the same network as the host OS? Or are you just looking for a hypervisor API call to return the computer name or IP address of the host OS that the guest OS is running on?
  • Options
    larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    in addtion are you licensed for VirtualCenter Server or have it installed?
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    JDMurray wrote:
    Is the guest OS on the same network as the host OS? Or are you just looking for a hypervisor API call to return the computer name or IP address of the host OS that the guest OS is running on?

JD as bolded above, I believe it may be an API call or utilising the VMware Tools Service but im not sure of the correct way. (Guest OS and Host OS are on the same Network too)

Larkspur, We have Virtual Centre on the legacy equipment but im not sure if its on this side of things yet or not unfortunatly.

Also I dont have the details of the VC Server either.... All i have is the Virtual Machine icon_sad.gif

This may all be in vain anyway as I think the infrastructure may have been setup to restrict communication between host and guest machine.

Just a stab in the dark I guess.

Thanks for the replies, hope the above answers help.

Oh and its a Nix ESX Host and a W2K3 Guest.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I know that it's possible for a program to determine if it running in either a hypervisor-hosted guest OS or in an OS installed directly on a machine, but I don't know about getting specific information on the host machine. That would seem to violate the isolation contract between guest and host OS.