router to patch panel

rj45ethrj45eth Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if this statement is true:

Never terminate a cable run with 110-type on one end and RJ-45 (modular plug) on the other end. This more often than not will cause problems and does not conform to EIA Category 5 specifications. If you have a wall plate/patch panel at one end of a cable run, you should also have a wall plate/patch panel at the other end of the cable run. If you have an RJ-45 at one end of a cable, the other end must also have an RJ-45.

If I understood correctly it should not be done as the diagram shown below:

router (console port) <--> patch panel <--> computer's serial port

In my school's lab, it was not the case - it can be done without any problem.

Thanks for your helps.

Comments

• phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It certainly is not the right way of doing it when doing structured wiring. Proper way is rack to jack (patch panel to wall jack or baseboard jack or cubicle jack).

I am not sure the maximum length of the console cable but it is a serial connection and as such I would not run it very far, at least in a production environment. It's always a bit different when it comes to the lab environemnt.
  • rj45ethrj45eth Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks phreak for your clarification.

Actually I have a small home lab and wanted to play around with my patch panel by connecting it with console port or ethernet port. Sadly it should not be done in such way.

I bought only one patch panel (24 ports) off eBay. And instead of wasting money to buy another one, what I would do is to join two ports on the patch panel, which I assume that I have two patch panels.

Computer's serial port --> [patch panel (port 1) <--> patch panel (port 2)] ---> router's console port

Don't know if it makes sense.

Thanks for your help again.
  • phreakphreak Member Posts: 170 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep it makes sense. As long as you use the same wiring standard on the patch panels and wall jacks it should work fine.

:)