Options

70-271 revision methods help!

Clarky321Clarky321 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi -

I'm intending to sit my 70-271 exam at the end of April and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, regarding the best methods for studying for it.

So far, my revision plan has been to just read through the official academic course text book and the official lab book provided along side it. I think i am getting there but worried that there might be a better way for me to learn this. I see a lot of u guys talking about a self-paced training kit, is this useful? I dont really have access to a lot of networking parts like a domain to practice, so not sure if that matters?

Any help would be greatly valued.
Thanks,
Clark.

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you do not have any experience with Windows XP you will want to get a copy of it to play around with, Windows XP Pro if possible. I would recommend using the Microsoft Press book for studying, you can pick that up on amazon.com for fairly cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/MCDST-Self-Paced-Training-70-271-andTroubleshooting/dp/0735622272/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&sr=8-1

Also, be sure to check the objectives of the exam on Microsoft's website if you have not done so already.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    You dont really need a domain to do what you may need for the DST. As long as you have an XP box and a reputable reference book you should be fine.
  • Options
    Deen54Deen54 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You don't need a domain.

All you need is a pc with Xp. Go thru every section and practice the various thing mentioned in the
    book.

Get familiar with the product.

Remember you are a DST..you will be troubleshooting problems from a user perspective.

eg.. my display is flickering.. (change refresh rate)
    my outlook isn't working. (check network connections)
  • Options
    Clarky321Clarky321 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks for the info - much appreciated. I've ordered the self-pace book was recommended. Never realised you get 430 test questions aswell, so i'm sure that will help. The book i'm using requires to be read quite a few times before actually understanding it properly. Chapter 5 - Permissions and Chapter 10 - Networking, i find really difficult. Hopefully i'll get there though.

Can anyone confirm if the study/revision time for 70-272 is a lot less to pass than it is for 70-271? I'm hoping it is, as would like to get both exams out the way around the same time. (bearing in mind i haven't even as much as taken the cellophane wrapper of the manual for 70-272).

Many thanks,
    Clark
  • Options
    pcpro215pcpro215 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Make sure you know IE. I had lot's of IE questions on my test. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @Deen, in the real world, DST's will often ineract with sys-admins, and many troubleshooting issues involve AD and server issues, even though you may not actually be the person configuring the servers. If you are a help desk technician or DST working in an enterprise environment, you will most-likely be interacting with AD quite a bit - don't be too narrow in your focus, most of the issues that make it to the DST are a bit more involved than fixing monitor issues, "my outlook isn't working. (check network connections)" - that is pretty broad. Are you sure you have real-world experience to be offering advice here?