Options

Anyone here a plasma buff?

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

My TV is only HD ready and cannot display 1080, it cost me a bag of sand about 7 months ago

I kind of feel cheated in a way because this TV will not last the 10 years i expected it would

It does however have a native resolution of 1024 X 768 which i believe makes it a 720 HD TV, am i right

Has anyone seen both 720 and 1080 and is there a difference, am sure there is but i mean from a couch perspective am i better off banishing this TV to the bedroom and buying a 1080 TV

Can i still experiance Hi Def TV with a fantastic picture

Any info would be great

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    From what I understand there are 100Hz LCDs coming out in the next year replacing the 50-60Hz LCDs. I know you have a plasma, so maybe they are different. They were in all the electronic exhibitions and people did seem to see a difference. Unless youre getting HD TV signal I dont see the reason to upgrade to 1080p yet. Wait until Blu-Ray players are really cheap and the 1080p TVs to go with it will be cheaper, maybe even because they are only 50-60Hz also.

I heard somewhere that the difference with 768 & 1080 is only really noticeable on 40"+, on a PC monitor I think you would notice it though.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I noticed the difference in the store. Unless they were feeding different signals to each set, but I don't think so because they were both playing the same thing.....it's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable IMO...Also, if you do get a new set, be sure to look for Deep Color support and the at least HDMI V1.3a. DC is the beginning of a new standard that will eventually replace 1080p, and is what is used on Ultra HD, which displays at 2K/4K resolution. 1080p is 1920X1080, UHD is 4096 X 2048...twice as good...and what you see at digital movie theaters. The HDMI version matters, because only V1.3a and higher support Deep Color. Right now, manufactuers are caught in a web, not knowing how to make the next great advance without **** off everyone who already bought a 1080p set. Yes, 1080p is true HD and looks fantastic, but there is, and will be this year, better.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hetty wrote:
    From what I understand there are 100Hz LCDs coming out in the next year replacing the 50-60Hz LCDs. I know you have a plasma, so maybe they are different. They were in all the electronic exhibitions and people did seem to see a difference. Unless youre getting HD TV signal I dont see the reason to upgrade to 1080p yet. Wait until Blu-Ray players are really cheap and the 1080p TVs to go with it will be cheaper, maybe even because they are only 50-60Hz also.

I heard somewhere that the difference with 768 & 1080 is only really noticeable on 40"+, on a PC monitor I think you would notice it though.

It's actually 120hz and they are already out. I bought one in December.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LNT5271FX/XAA

I'm not sure that I notice a difference between 120hz and whatever preceded it, so I'm not certain I can recommend a purchase on that basis. The 25000:1 contrast ratio is awesome though.

I own two 1080p LCD's (42" and 52"). Depending on the quality of the input source, a difference between 720p and 1080p is noticeable. However, I think it is one of those things that unless you are used to 1080p, you're not going to miss not having it. I think very few things currently produce a 1080p image.

MS
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Unless you hook up a Blu-ray player you won't notice. Most of the HD signals I get (with the exception of Discovery HD) are 720p. The only 1080p signal I get is from my PS3 or Xbox360 HD player.

Blu-ray discs playback the movie at 24 frames per second which is the same way it was shot on film. Normal video is at 30 fps in order to work with the 60Hz electic current in the states and the original interlaced tubes that only refreshed half the screen on one pass. The beautiful thing about the 120Hz processors is that it will show each frame of a Blu-ray disc 5 times. I was looking at one the other day and my girlfriend didn't like it becasue the picture was too real in a creepy sort of way.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lee H wrote:
    It does however have a native resolution of 1024 X 768 which i believe makes it a 720 HD TV, am i right

720p is 1280x720, and is a 16:9 wide aspect ratio. 1024x768 is a 4:3 ratio, which is boxier like traditional computer monitors.

How big is the TV and how far away are you viewing it from? If it's small and/or you're kind of far back, you won't notice a difference. As mentioned earlier, cable is going to be 1080i or 720p. The only source of 1080p content is blu-ray or gaming.

You TV will be good for a decade, but it's not going to be cutting edge. It's always been that way. Even though resolutions didn't change, TVs that were a few years newer always looked significantly better than the older ones. I have a 1080p DLP that's not even a year old, and it gets smoked in contrast ratio, etc. by newer models. It's a great picture, and it's something I'm happy with. If you feel like your TV isn't cutting it, kick it to the bedroom and get something new. It's up to you.

edit:
    Just noticed that this was a plasma. Plasmas do really weird things with the pixels to get 1024x768 into a wide aspect ratio. If you look closely, you can see that the pixels are slightly rectangular. You might lose a little detail, but it's nothing to worry about. The TV will take a 720p signal and adjust it for output on that display.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

If i download a massive AVI which claims to be Hi Def, will i actually be getting a Hi Def picture when viewed through my TV from my PC

Lee H
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    It depends on what resolution your monitor is running at. As long as you are at or over 1280x1024 and playing the video in fullscreen then you can view 720 material in full resolution, 1080 material will be scaled down. You would have to running 1920x1200 to view 1080 material not scaled, so you would have to be running a 24" or 26" monitor. Check out the Microsoft Hi-Def showcase files, it can also be good to check if a PCs graphics card is good enough to play the higher 1080 HD content.

Microsoft WMV HD Content Showcase
    I liked the Super Speedway & The Magic of Flight ones myself.