Options

Too much?

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hello all, I just recently passed my A+ certification and I was going to start my CCNA certification studying sometime next week. I've heard that this test is on another level and I want to make sure that I'm completely prepared. Money isn't too big of a deal for me and I wanted to get your thoughts on the study guides I've purchased yesterday.

All of them are Cisco Press:

1. Cisco Certification Library
2. Cisco Portable Command Guide
3. Cisco Flashcards and Practice Pack
4. Cisco Video Mentors

Has anybody had any experience with these items? If so, good or bad? I also plan on building a lab and perhaps shadowing someone at the technical college I graduated from. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    All good products.

Good Job, now get on ebay and start getting your routers and switches. You need at least 2950 switches, but your routers you can mix and match. Don't forget you'll need a few console cables and power cords too if they don't include them.

2620 I believe are the routers you are going to need do trunking, but you can also get away with 2501/3 routers which are MUCH cheapter for most things.

As far as the computers, you might want a couple of old junky computers (I used a 300mhz p2 and a 700mhz celeron), make sure they have serial ports and slap them on a Keyboard switch so you can test connections.

I personally learned a lot from CCNA about networking. I think it's a great cert, good luck!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Thanks for the help...When I get to building the lab I'll rely heavily on your advice and post some questions if I have any!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might want to toss the Sybex book on to your list -- while the Certification Library is probably the #1 book you'll use for earning the CCNA, the Sybex book is great for subnetting and is more of a "fun read." Check out the CCNA FAQ for the link and other suggestions.

There's also a link in the CCNA FAQ to a Cisco Document about the router that support SDM -- you'll want one of those in your home lab also.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    yeah, cisco press and CBT nuggets :D

I never had a lab for CCNA level, Dynamips works great. But then again if money is no issue, it is always better working on real equipment.

good luck :)