Options

22" wide screen LCD <settings and resolution?>

wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,.

I just bought a 22" wide screen LCD monitor, up until now I used a 17" Flat @ home and normal 17" for work and I'm having a problem in getting used to this thing, I'm begining to think that buying it was a big mistake.

The Problem.
The suggested resolution for it is 1680 * 1050 <I use vista>
I Adjusted the size DPI to Large Scale (120 DPI) but every thing is still too small for me "especially on the internet".

Changing the screen resolution to one of the other default value does not work very will..

Do you guys have any suggestions for this situation ?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can click the "custom dpi" button in the lower-right and increase it past 120.

Also, You can adjust the font size inside of web-browsers.

IE 7 > Page > Text Size
    FF 2 > View > Text Size

I'm in FF, and I can increase each letter to about 1" on my 24" 1920x1200 display.

I usually leave it at the default size, but I bump it up a couple of notches when I'm doing something like reading Safari for four hours straight.

If neither of those options work for you, maybe it's just time for better glasses (or a 30" monitor) :D
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I run wide screen Dell flat panels in 1680x1050x32 for both my Windows desktop and games that support the resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio. It's an excellent resolution for wide screen monitors, and it's worth making slight adjustment to Windows and your applications to use it.

I do not recommend changing the Windows display DPI from the default of 96DPI. Many graphical Windows programs are not written for any other display DPI setting and will not render correctly. Instead, I suggest changing the Windows font to a more readable typeface and size using the Appearance tab on the Display Properties box. And like dynamik said, programs like Web browsers, document editors, PDF viewers, etc, have the ability to increase the visual size of text.

And I will admit that I have a pair of non-prescription, 0.5x reading glasses that give my eyes just enough boost to keep working when the screen text starts getting a bit blurry. icon_shaking.gif
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I have a 22" at home that looks great at 1680x1050. I also have a 20" Dell at work and it's native resolution is the same, however it looks terrible. It actually gives me a head ache if I run it at that for too long. Everything is way too small. I use DVI at home and VGA at work. I don't know whether or not that makes a difference. Also I don't know whether or not it could just be the shitty on-board video I have at work... I can't even update the drivers for it. Between those two, I don't know if it could just be the monitor. But it's extremely disappointing since I have to run it at 1024x768 when I specifically requested a 20" for the higher resolution.

You shouldn't need to change anything for a higher resolution to look normal.
  • Options
    girt81girt81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try it at 1440x900, as that's the next lowest common resolution that is the same 1.6 aspect ratio.
    In progress: IINS (CCNA Security)
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just check them one-by-one and use the one that most confortable to you. I don't like wide screen that much unless I'm watching movie.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn