Options

Soft-Certifications

nathan-fadernathan-fader Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Let me make this fast, I am 17 holding only CompTIA A+, MCP & MCDST..

and some other things like NVQ ICT, and Key Skills Level 2...

I Stumbled across Brainbench and done a couple exams.. it told me what i was weak in which was appreciated... so i can do extra studying, but i still passed 3 exams..
all governed by BrainBench..

i understand their not known qualification/certifications but i believe it will "beef" up my Resume .. and if research is conducted brainbench shows what i am capable of..

is it worth putting the log on my resume and buying the certificates ?

all opinions please?

No rudeness just general interest

Nathan-Fader :D :P
Everyone Seems To Bully Me In This Forum.. Good Advice Thou...

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I wouldn't do that. It would look like you're reaching to fill your resume with anything.

Focus on wrapping up something like MCSA/MCSE, etc., go for your CCNA, do something like that.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Hmm its a good point ..

But what if i categorised my resume Soft certifications.. and vendor certifications or what ever their called wouldn't that be acceptable?

and when i say i'm mcdst and A+ they look at me like i am lying to them.. so if they took time to research and i sent them the online transcripts it will outline my skills ?

thanks for the reply keep them coming :P
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    is it worth putting the log on my resume and buying the certificates ?
    If your purpose for getting certs is to find a (better) job, then I suggest you search the popular job sites for the word "Brainbench" and see how many prospective employers require those certifications. Next, search for "CCNA" and "MCSE" and see how many employers want people with those certs.
  • Options
    not a better job, i have just come out of education and I have a love for computers so i thought to make it recognised but getting certifications ..

but i don't mean on solely relying on them for jobs just to make it look good [/quote]
  • Options
    Okay...

What's the purpose of a resume?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    in particular courses I will attend they will ask me to produce a resume..

and i haven't worked before i am interested in getting training and i will submit a letter with my resume to show my current abilities..
  • Options
    My point here is that your school is training you to be successful in the IT industry. In other words, they have you submit your resumes to help you get better at making them so that you are more likely to the jobs you want.

In this case, I don't think listing these certs are going to help you getting jobs. Like I said, if I were looking at your resume, and I saw you listed those, I would immediately think, "What in the heck is this cert? This guy is trying to hide his lack of experience with certs I've never heard of."

You don't want that. If I saw you weren't even 18 and had your A+, MCDST, etc., that is actually impressive. But you ruin that impression by adding the other stuff.

Just my opinion...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Okay...

To get an interview, period.

Short, simple, clean, concise. Nothing more, nothing less. You can kill any chance of an interview by being too wordy, or even by incorrectly formating the page layout.

The resume is basically a single page calling card.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    "What in the heck is this cert? This guy is trying to hide his lack of experience with certs I've never heard of."

You don't want that. If I saw you weren't even 18 and had your A+, MCDST, etc., that is actually impressive. But you ruin that impression by adding the other stuff.

Just my opinion...

Is a very good point, I never thought of it like that.. your opinion was valued thank you for being so consistent icon_cheers.gif

HeroPsycho wrote:
    Okay...

To get an interview, period.

Is also a good point, but HeroPsycho's lil role play could effect my chances of getting a interview thank you both for replying icon_cheers.gif

More opinions are valued

Thanks

Nathan-Fader icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    In this case, I don't think listing these certs are going to help you getting jobs. Like I said, if I were looking at your resume, and I saw you listed those, I would immediately think, "What in the heck is this cert? This guy is trying to hide his lack of experience with certs I've never heard of."

Oh come on. He's 17, anyone looking at his resume will know immediately he hasn't got any experience (or at best, not much). Anything else positive he can put down will only be helpful, especially those things that demonstrate a willingness to learn and improve.

nathan-fader - I've never heard of these certs, but I'm sure they wouldn't hurt if they were there. You are looking at a trade off, which is how much time/effort you need to invest to get a return on those. A CCNA (for example) would be more helpful to you, but takes much longer to achieve.

If you can get these things so easily, I don't think it would hurt to do a few and put them in there. A more well known cert would probably do yourself more favours though :)
  • Options
    I know some 17 year olds who I would completely trust even as Enterprise Level desktop support technicians or even lower level network administrators. You'd be surprised how much experience some 17 year olds have.

However, as I said, putting these down is like if I saw someone had on their resume "Certified by Chuck Norris". If anything, it hurts.

http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2008/03/25/back-in-the-saddle.aspx

Good for laughs, but not for your resume.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    lol icon_lol.gif

okay point taken.. thanks hero.. for being so.. "persistent" but nether the less as consistent.. much appreciated.. i actually got the certified when i was 16.. and i am receiving the certificates at 17..
  • Options
    Hey man, good for you!

There's no reason 17 year olds can't get certified. Keep applying yourself, and you'll do well.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are far too young to be overtly worried about certifications. You have plenty already. Sell yourself as someone prepared to work hard and do a good job for your potential employer.

The rest will take care of itself. Good luck.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I know some 17 year olds who I would completely trust even as Enterprise Level desktop support technicians or even lower level network administrators. You'd be surprised how much experience some 17 year olds have.

Your kidding me right? Who is providing minors with such experience?
  • Options
    Thank you.. i "sold" myself to a local computer store in a random confrontation with one of the recruitment people, he was eager to bring me on his team. but i will have to go to the website and check for vacancies etc. but that was only a test.. but enjoyable never felt so wanted in my life lool

icon_lol.gif

Nobody has informed me of the size of the microsoft envelopes.. the postman knocked on my door.. but i was out cold my internal clock is messed up because i stay awake till mad times in the morning and the clocks went forward a hour.. and he can't bend it.. so i have to pick it up.. i can't wait.. im so excited.. icon_redface.gif i will fly to my local college and check their prospectus for courses!! :D

i will be pissed if it wasnt the certificates .. i would be so angry icon_evil.gif

but the postman managed to get comptia A+ certificate through hmmm icon_bounce.gif

but for the record.. this is what my brainbench transcript looks like.. DISGUSTING yes .. i know.. icon_rolleyes.gif but.. i'm not going to lie.. i do these tests between 3 - 5 AM when my eyes are watering and im not thinking.. and well.. when im just playing about.. nothing serious.. lol looks like i got worse as time goes on! hahahaha icon_lol.gif well it was a joke.. just thought i could make it seem important and make me look smarter.. but HeroPsycho proved me wrong.. Props and Congratulations to Him.. Thank You all for your help.. i give you all permission to reply and laugh at my weaknesses. icon_wink.gif

CURRENT BRAINBENCH CERTIFICATIONS:
    Certification Name: Certiport IC3 (Internet and Computing Core Certification)
    Date: 2007-10-10
    Authority: Certiport
    Certification Name: Master Computer Fundamentals (Win XP)
    Date: 2008-02-17
    Authority: Brainbench
    Certification Name: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
    Date: 2008-02-27
    Authority: Microsoft
    Certification Name: Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)
    Date: 2008-03-03
    Authority: Microsoft
    Certification Name: MS Windows XP Desktop Administration
    Date: 2008-03-08
    Certification Name: CompTIA A+
    Date: 2008-03-10
    Authority: CompTIA
    Certification Name: Technical Help Desk
    Date: 2008-03-18

ASSESSMENT HISTORY:
    Module: Technical Help Desk
    Date: 2008-03-18
    Score: 3.02 (Scale of 1 - 5 where 5.0 = Best)
    Higher than 30% of all previous test takers.

Demonstrates a solid understanding of core concepts within this
    topic. Appears capable of working on most projects in this area
    with moderate assistance. May require some initial assistance
    with advanced concepts, however.

Strengths
    Security

Weak Areas
    Computer Systems
    Hardware
    Configuring PC Peripherals
    PC Terminology
    Troubleshooting Process

Module: MS Windows XP Desktop Administration
    Date: 2008-03-08
    Score: 3.2 (Scale of 1 - 5 where 5.0 = Best)
    Higher than 70% of all previous test takers.

Demonstrates a solid understanding of core concepts within this
    topic. Appears capable of working on most projects in this area
    with moderate assistance. May require some initial assistance
    with advanced concepts, however.

Strengths
    System Maintenance and Optimization
    Troubleshooting
    Desktop

Weak Areas
    Security
    Networking
    Management

Module: Computer Fundamentals (Win XP)
    Date: 2008-02-17
    Score: 4.15 (Scale of 1 - 5 where 5.0 = Best)
    Higher than 92% of all previous test takers.

Demonstrates a clear understanding of many advanced concepts
    within this topic. Appears capable of mentoring others on most
    projects in this area.

Strengths
    Files and Folders
    Help and Support Center
    Basic Windows Features
    Office Applications
    Control Panel
    Desktop and Taskbar
    Troubleshooting

Weak Areas
    None Noted
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:

Dude, there are 18-year-old doctors, although admittedly, not common. Again, it's not common to meet 17-year-olds who can do this type of thing, but it's more common than you think. I know one guy back in the 1990's who was 16 and could mop the floor with most people with years of IT experience. Some people are exceptionally bright.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Dude, there are 18-year-old doctors, although admittedly, not common. Again, it's not common to meet 17-year-olds who can do this type of thing, but it's more common than you think. I know one guy back in the 1990's who was 16 and could mop the floor with most people with years of IT experience. Some people are exceptionally bright.

I concur.

If you can find a bright (perferrably brilliant) kid who hasn't been ground down by all those "years of experience" and then put him in the right position I have no doubt he would work out.
  • Options
    colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:

Being a good or bad employee isn't always a function of "experience." I would take a 17 year old with some certs, not much experience, AND his head on straight over a 40 year old with ton of experience and an improperly ordered value system.

Now, to answer your question: His parents.