Options

system disposal

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

Just curious as to how your companies handle;e disposal of computers.

before our company just threw them in a dumpster but now there are new laws in place here that we need to pay a disposal fee on all new systems and monitors and take them to a designated depot

I found a post in the security forms here about wiping drives using dban and how it was the DOD standard. so I've wiped the drive 3 times over but recently rad the new DOD standard says there is no recommended software way of wiping a drive they only way to properly dispose of data on a drive for decommissioning is drive destruction.

so what are our companies policies and do you think using a program like dban is covering one's self for disposing of equipment?

We are not a high security work place by any means but I like to make sure that if I;m in charge of disposing of a piece of equipment I'm doing my best to ensure data on it can not be recovered by commercially available programs that someone dumpster diving at one of theses depots could use

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I work for a electronic recycling company. check out http://www.comprenew.com . We do hard drive data wipe for a charge. There are three types of data deletion. Basic, High security, and Destruction.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Donate the PCs/Monitors to a non-profit. You don't have to pay expensive per-pound fees for that :)
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    We use a local recycling company here in Tampa, Quicksilver Recycling. Sometimes we use one of the drive wiping tools available on the Ultimate Boot CD, while other times we will have Quicksilver destroy the drives - it just depends on the systems in which they were used.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    We save the RAM and DVD/hard drives and drop off the rest at the local household hazardous waste and recycling place. The hard drives are wiped with DBAN and checked with several disk checking utilities. If a drive is very old (5+ years) or electro-mechanically unsound then it's recycled with an 8-pound sledge hammer. The RAM ends up in a shoe box and is most often never used again.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    We save the RAM and DVD/hard drives and drop off the rest at the local household hazardous waste and recycling place. The hard drives are wiped with DBAN and checked with several disk checking utilities. If a drive is very old (5+ years) or electro-mechanically unsound then it's recycled with an 8-pound sledge hammer. The RAM ends up in a shoe box and is most often never used again.

Except for the 8lb sledge....we do the same. If they systems can be donated, they are. If not they are hauled to the local recycle center minus, RAM, HDD and anything else that may be of use (not too much these days with everything being onboard).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Except for the 8lb sledge....we do the same.
    You should try it; for thrills it sure beats breaking fluorescent light tubes.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Except for the 8lb sledge....we do the same.
    You should try it; for thrills it sure beats breaking fluorescent light tubes.

We just don't have a sledge (at work).....though sounds like I should acquire one for just such an occasion :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I would rather try to justify use of this.

http://pyrogenesis.com/images/PDRM0008.JPG
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    you can send them to me.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685