paintb4707 wrote:
    orissa wrote:
    I am taking care of

2 domain cont.
    1 exchange server
    1 web server
    1 security server
    1 ISA Server
    1 Electronic Time Collection Server (Deltek)
    1 Project Server
    1 File and Print Server
    1 BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    7 BlackBerry Mobile Device

20 in house user with Windows XP Pro (All Dell Laptop)

Planing for my CCIE and PMP.

I noticed you said 20 in house users. Do you support any remote users?

I also support 25 offsite User as well.
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.
  • orissaorissa Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:
    LoL, you should be happy with 55k. I don't make anywhere close to that, and the NOC I work in monitors several thousand devices in multiple datacenters.

What is NOC stand for?
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Network operations center.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    orissa wrote:
    c0d3_w0lf wrote:
    LoL, you should be happy with 55k. I don't make anywhere close to that, and the NOC I work in monitors several thousand devices in multiple datacenters.

What is NOC stand for?

Network Operations Center

They were originally primarily in use by telecommunications companies to monitor their overall network and service areas to quickly respond to any alerts or address service issues that could be affecting their customers. If a line is cut somewhere they would typically dispatch a crew to repair it or provide information about the network to site technicians trying to troubleshoot a problem.

A lot of other companies use them now with the same name to monitor several remote offices from a centralized location or to monitor several Datacenters and LANs.
  • NetAdmin1234NetAdmin1234 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMHO 55K for what you are doing is good pay

I make 47,500

1 File
    1 Application
    1 Exchange
    1 Print
    1 Mail
    1 Database

87 Clients

And we are expanding by adding our injection molding presses to the database server to track prodution in realtime
  • pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think thats nice, whats 55k average out to per hour? About 28 or so ? I make under 10k doing part time work in school. you guys have my dreams!
    I wanna be ccie
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pooker wrote:
    I think thats nice, whats 55k average out to per hour? About 28 or so ? I make under 10k doing part time work in school. you guys have my dreams!

salary / (hoursPerWeek * 52) = hourly rate

55000 / (40 * 52) = $26.44
  • pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i was close for guessing :D
    I wanna be ccie
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pooker wrote:
    i was close for guessing :D

Yep. You can get a decent estimate for a 40-hour week if you just cut the thousands in half.

The thing that sucks is that salary can often go over 40 hours a week and doesn't pay overtime. The place I work at expects 45 hours/week for salaried employees. That would drop the hourly rate down to $23.50 in the above example.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    pretty much all the profession jobs I have had in the last 8 years that are salaried average out to more than 40 hours a week.

The only folks I know that work exactly 40 hours a week are those contracting and they don't get paid over time.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hey...

I have 1700 users, 11 buildings on one site, 12 servers, 2000+ access-layer ports, cisco VPN users, wireless network, AD, Exchange, WAN gear and a 1300-line Definity PBX with Audix-clone. I'm 27 years old and I've been doing this for about 4 years. I have a M.S. degree and a B.S. Honors in Computer Science and have been working on certs.

This place consists of:
    Network Director (me)
    Help Desk Person x2
    Database/Web Programmer x2
    Webmaster

I live in Iowa. My girlfriend hates me and tells me I should go work at the meat packing plant because it would stress me out less and I'd get paid overtime (no overtime for salary employees).

How much do you guys think I make?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nl wrote:
    Hey...

I have 1700 users, 11 buildings on one site, 12 servers, 2000+ access-layer ports, cisco VPN users, wireless network, AD, Exchange, WAN gear and a 1300-line Definity PBX with Audix-clone. I'm 27 years old and I've been doing this for about 4 years. I have a M.S. degree and a B.S. Honors in Computer Science and have been working on certs.

This place consists of:
    Network Director (me)
    Help Desk Person x2
    Database/Web Programmer x2
    Webmaster

I live in Iowa. My girlfriend hates me and tells me I should go work at the meat packing plant because it would stress me out less and I'd get paid overtime (no overtime for salary employees).

How much do you guys think I make?

the same or less than working in the meat packing plant? :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Next smart-aleck answer from Phoenix ...

Nowhere near enough?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • hookupsweethookupsweet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey guys I am a student at ITT Tech and im working on this project and was wondering if someone could help me?

see i need to know what the cost of a Netwrok administrator for 1 year and i have been having trouble looking this up. so if someone could help me that would be great

thanks
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco_trooper

couldnt have said it better myself...............nicely done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    25-30k tops average in small towns
    25-35 big cities maybe
    NetAdmin1234

holy crap do you get paid well; we run 40 servers and have 150 clients
    holy crap. where do you live????? hahha
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cisco_trooper has it right. Its all about experience - not just how many years, but what you've been doing all those years. Certs are nice to get a checkmark from the HR person handling the recruitment but they don't translate *directly* into higher pay cheques. You need to find a job that will let you grow, and once you've grown as much as you can in that role its time to find something new (start looking for the next opportunity while you have a comfortable job - its hard to be picky when you're unemployed).

I have 12 years of experience in IT and got my first job when high school ended, I never attended university/college or attained any certs (I wrote my first one - VCP on VI3 - just last week), I just moved roles when the time was right, spent lots of time learning on my own and have been making well over 100k for the last 7 years. I got lucky early on, moved when the time was right, etc, and it allowed me to gain experience in subsequently larger roles/environments as time went on. I presently work in an environment with 70,000 users but my 1st jr admin job was for less than 100 users (but in a high-stakes environment - industrial process control).

I'm not trying to "toot my own horn" (haven't heard that in a while so I thought I would use it), just trying to show the reality of the workplace today. If you really want your salary to increase you have to embrace change. As others have said here if you feel your underpaid compared to someone else in the same area as you doing a similar job ask for a raise and if you don't get what you're looking for don't be afraid to start looking elsewhere - be willing to relocate if you're in a small town (you will have limited opportunity for growth if all the companies are small). Learn new technologies on the side (certs would be good here to prove some understanding of the concepts even with no production experience) and someone will give you a break down the line and take a chance on you. Don't give up and be selective about each job, that's why it's so important to start looking well in advance.

Good luck!