Options

IT and Sarcasm

sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
Do you believe people within the tech industry are generally more prone to issue sarcastic one-liners and/or witty diatribes to co-workers than those in another industry?

I say "aye". IT has a way of breeding such behaviour. How could you not point out the ignorance of users? It's too easy sometimes!
Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is this I don't even...
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I think this depends on the person and their background as opposed to what field they are in. I know a lot of people heavily involved in IT that don't really make sarcastic remarks. Another thing I found is that sometimes a higher-up in a company can unintentionally influence the behavior of the people in that organization through either their concious attempt to win favor or their subconcious acquisition of this trait from spending 8-10 hours per day with the same people.

As you could probably tell from most of my posts, I struggle to say anything in one line. My e-mail and verbal interaction with people is no different.
    How could you not point out the ignorance of users? It's too easy sometimes!

You have to keep in mind that all of those people see no reason to gain the amount of technological knowledge as we do. You have to keep in mind that those co-workers are often far more knowledgable than us in whatever area interests them most and we seem just as ignorant to them (and are). They can choose to either be respectful and educate us in that area if we are interested or simply avoid making such comments if not. Personally I would rather someone present an opportunity for me to choose to learn something or disregard it so that is what I offer.
  • Options
    CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think that it helps keep everyone in a good mood. Personally I try to get in all the sarcastic remarks I can get away with. Its nice because I'm also on a one-on-one level with my boss so we give each other crap all the time. :D
    I know a lot of people heavily involved in IT that don't really make sarcastic remarks

Schluep makes a good point it also depends on the person, some people can't take a joke so you do have to be careful.
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always establish a good rapport with the person before I make any jokes/sarcastic remarks. It's all in good fun, so I don't want to upset or offend anyone.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what kind of post this is ???

what ever happen to :

d00d i neEd a G00d Br@inDump !!! where to get this ???##!!!

d0 you have answers of Cc!e !!! ????
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I always establish a good rapport with the person before I make any jokes/sarcastic remarks. It's all in good fun, so I don't want to upset or offend anyone.

Spot on. You need to get a feel for your co-workers (not physically). Some guys joke about their wives, and some would punch you if you said anything about them. Its all a big game, and can be fun to play. But yes, I prefer the sarcasm and light mood. I'm probably one of the biggest goofballs in the office. However, when it comes down to business, its all work and no play.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeh i think you can always have fun with your co-workers up to the point where work is being done. I always play with the users as well.

Who always gets the same joke from every user when their pc isnt working "does that mean I can go home early?" (they laugh to make sure we understand its a joke). One day I called a users bluff on that joke and said as seriously as I could "no im sorry you cant, i need to fix this urgent issue and can you stay around until 9pm tonight to perform user testing for me?". Ive never seen someones grin go so quickly, priceless.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    its easy to do when you're remote... whenever one of the IT guys hang up the phone you can just feel when a remark is about to be spit out.
  • Options
    wow !!!
    apparently the person whom authored the sarcasm post doesn't himself
    understand sarcasm ???
    bloody canadians have no sense of humor
    i answered your post WITH sarcasm icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

To: darkuser
    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm
    Subject: u
    Suck a fat one.

"If you don't stand for anything, you don't stand for anything!"
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Life should be like an MST 3000 episode.
    However, a mandatory part of any IT performance standard should be that no one is allowed to quote Monty Python, Star Trek, BtVS, make any reference to rolling a saving throw, or pretend to own a sonic screwdriver. Sheesh!
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    sir_creamy_ failed his sarcasm saving throw though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    However, a mandatory part of any IT performance standard should be that no one is allowed to quote Monty Python, Star Trek, BtVS, make any reference to rolling a saving throw, or pretend to own a sonic screwdriver. Sheesh!

This router goes to 11.

Sorry, couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    darkuser wrote:
    wow !!!
    understand sarcasm ???

quote:

To: darkuser
    Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm
    Subject: u
    Suck a fat one.

Taking his sarcasm to the next level?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    This router goes to 11.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

But The Hitchiker's Guide, Big Lebowski and (of course) Spinal Tap are OK, right?
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Absolutely. Just don't panic or become a drummer, dude.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    darkuser wrote:
    wow !!!
    understand sarcasm ???
    Maybe "bloody Canadians" only recognize poignant, well-crafted sarcasm.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    The mythical messages you craft with my name are slightly hilarious. Good show.

As for the generalization about your neighbours (note the "u") to the north: you'd better get use to us. We've nearly claimed Silicon Valley as our own (along with our friends from India) and the Northeast is next on the "to do" list.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    The mythical messages you craft with my name are slightly hilarious. Good show.

As for the generalization about your neighbours (note the "u") to the north: you'd better get use to us. We've nearly claimed Silicon Valley as our own (along with our friends from India) and the Northeast is next on the "to do" list.

it's all good
    i didnt mean to mock you
    just thought it was funny to answer the sarcasm post with sarcasm
    but you didnt get the joke
    so i apologise if you took it the wrong way.
    as for "mythical" messages.
    that's the pm you sent to me.
    so be a "man" and take responsibility for your actions
    dont blame someone for calling you out.
    ive been told by other people you've pm flamed them as well.
    but that's just insecurity speaking.
    i'm sure the webmaster can track all pm's sent.
    get over it
    we're all here to learn.

remember "nobody expects the spanish inquisition"
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    darkuser wrote:
    remember "nobody expects the spanish inquisition"

NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition. Our two weapons are fear, surprise, and WireShark.

• Options
    okay i cant help myself ..... i really need a life or my ccie #

A Reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

-- Monty Python, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    That's it? That's the beast? I soiled my armor for nothing. . .

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Sarcasm and IT, they go together like suits of armor and lightening storms, you know?

They're like skateboards and freeway ramps.

I'm just saying they click you know?

They're like tuna fish and cigarettes!

P.S. I have to include this or else I'd never forgive myself.

THAT RABBIT HAS A VICIOUS STREAK A MILE WIDE! IT'S A KILLER! LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    P.S. I have to include this or else I'd never forgive myself.

THAT RABBIT HAS A VICIOUS STREAK A MILE WIDE! IT'S A KILLER! LOOK AT THE BONES!!!

some people call me..........Tim

Goodnight Everybody! :D

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I laugh everytime I see that bottle rocket fly out of his staff. Oh man... ROFLMAO!
    Good luck to all!