Options

What Path Did You Take Towards MCSE 2003?

I'm trying to decide which electives to take. I'm equally interested in both Messaging and Security. I don't want to sit 10 exams to have both (want to focus on Linux, VMWare, CCNP for the next 2 years), so my goal is to have the best combo of both worlds:

70-270
70-290
70-291
70-293
70-294

70-284 (I use it at work)
70-298 (security AND good for any MCSE flavor)

When I start upgrading to Server 2008 (in 2-3 years), I'll take care of Exchange 2007.

What path did you guys/gals choose and why?
Given my situation, is there a better compromise between Messaging and Security?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Messaging is more in demand. If you're already working with it, you might as well go that route.

I'm going to take the security track, and my list will end up like 290, 270, Sec+, 294, 291, 293, 298, and 299.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297 (I do a lot of AD Design and not Security at work)
    70-284
    70-299 (Company Required)
    70-301 (Company Required for Microsoft Solution Framework)

I was thinking about doing Security+ and 70-298 to fill in the gaps I did since I already did 70-299, but we'll see. I already have a ton of things to learn besides doing Security+ and 70-298.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Royal, have you looked at the 298 material? I believe a lot of people focus on 299 and just skim 298. It seems like a lot of common sense material if you've been paying attention to security best-practices along the way.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's been about a year since I did my MCSE. I'd have to go over a lot of the material since a lot of the details aren't fresh in my mind. I don't have the time for it right now. There's many other things that have a much higher priority right now such as OCS, Exchange UM, and scripting.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Messaging is more in demand.

you might have sparked some research that might change my mind then....
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:

People post stats from Monster, etc. on here from time to time. Messaging usually has around twice the postings of security. Both of these numbers are over a thousand though, so it's not like there is necessarily a lack of security positions. Just go with whatever interests you and/or what you're currently/will soon be working with. Security interests me, and while I would like to get a new job soon, I am willing to wait until something I like comes along. Plus, I haven't worked with Exchange before, so I'm just going to start with 2007.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm in the same boat as dynamik, I haven't really worked with Exchange up until now, so I won't be looking at any kind of certification on it that's pre-2007. As for my path, I went the following route:

Security+
    70-290
    70-291
    70-270

It's been far too long, but I plan to continue on and finish my MCSE:

70-293
    70-298 (Since 70-293 rolls into security topics, it seems like a natural transition.)
    70-294

I want to continue on to do MCITP: Enterprise Administrator sooner than later, so I don't know if I plan on doing any specialities. I may end up doing 70-299, just for the sake of having the MCSE: Security, since I'm so close, but I won't end up doing the Exchange 2003 exams. I'm looking to work towards CCNP and beyond as well, but that's further down the road.

I think you're taking a good path. I think, since you're using Exchange 2003 actively, you should do 70-295 as well, and round out the MCSE: Messaging. Taking 70-298 is a good choice, since you're interested in security as well, but if you don't see yourself spending the time to get 70-299 knocked out, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The next generation of certs, MCITP, is going to assume security knowledge as part of the core exams, and I haven't seen the actual MCSE: Security so much in demand, as I have seen job-listings asking for security experience. Would it hurt you to have both specialities for MCSE? Absolutely not, but if you're going after other certifications and experience as well, the core and the electives having to do with your day-to-day tasks should be more than enough to show that you've got a well-rounded skillset.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:

People post stats from Monster, etc. on here from time to time. Messaging usually has around twice the postings of security. Both of these numbers are over a thousand though, so it's not like there is necessarily a lack of security positions. Just go with whatever interests you and/or what you're currently/will soon be working with. Security interests me, and while I would like to get a new job soon, I am willing to wait until something I like comes along. Plus, I haven't worked with Exchange before, so I'm just going to start with 2007.

My mind was set on security for a while. I have a small amount of experience with exchange, but I feel much more comfortable and interested in InfoSec. But since Im in a position to choose, I will have to do further research to which suits me better.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security