Options

whats after PC tech ??

poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I live in San Francisco, I worked about 15 months in Compusa as tech, now after the company is closet am looking for a new job and to make my resume looks good I finish my MCSA and A+. I contacted a hiring company they said am an entry level and cannot get Jr. network admin or sys admin.... and I prefer to not work as helpdesk or PC tech because I want real high paid and more respect job
My questions is:
After MCSA wich better: I finish the MCSE or do CCNA or have the comptia set (network+, security+, linux+). someone told me that comptia is worthless for someone and better spend the money in more microsoft certifs if am not an entry level.
Is there a good hiring "honest" hiring company in SF b.area.
with a background of PC tech and an MCSA wich jobs I focus on when I do my search in Dice or careerbuilder?

icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_confused.gif: icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif
MCSA, A+

Comments

• Options
    dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We are both in the same path my friend. I have 17 months exp with pc tech and servers too. I've been searching for new jobs for months now and no luck. I'm keeping this job for the experience.

Just got my MCSA M+ last Jan. After that I thought more companies are going to be interested in me, got it wrong. I started my CCNA with a study buddy last month. I'm taking the 802 route he went the other way. Just last week he passed the first exam.

I suggest getting CCNA for its more helpful at the current situation. Comptia are not helpful now since you have MCSA, but if you take sec+ it will be helpful on MCSE track.

The bottom line is make ourselves more maketable by raking certs and experience. Just my adive.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's a lovely job-market, here in the Bay Area, isn't it? I think I know where you're coming from, I started out at CompUSA in San Rafael, myself. I spent 2004 and half of 2005 there, then I had to get out and look for something new. The problem was, I didn't have a Bachelor's degree, so I was stuck looking for helpdesk work until something better came along. I spent a couple of months at Kaiser, doing some helpdesk stuff, then I ended up getting (VERY) lucky and landed a job as a systems engineer at an ISP in Marin, after finishing my MCSA. It takes time, especially when coming from the psuedo-stigma of having worked as a "McTech" at CompUSA, so you might have to stomach some helpdesk work for a while.

On the other end of the coin, I'd say sticking with your Microsoft studies and finishing up your MCSE before going on to CCNA is a good idea; most companies won't give you the time of day unless they see a familiar acronym next to your name. The two certs, together, will make you very marketable around here. (Just make sure you learn as much as you can, I don't have to tell you how competitive this area is, and you will be tested on how much you know and if you can handle the job.) I'd also recommend getting some Exchange experience under your belt. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but every job I've ever interviewed for, from San Jose to Sacramento, has assumed that I know Exchange since I know Windows Server.

To wrap up a long rant: finish your MCSE, get some Exchange experience, and get yourself CCNA certified. Be prepared, however, to be doing helpdesk work in the meantime, until you can reach those goals. Between the certs and the experience, you'll be adding that "systems administrator" title to your business card before you know it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Oh, and if you haven't done so already: get a bachelor's degree. As tough as the job-market here is, you'll need that edge to make a living wage. Employers in the Bay have a tendency to screw you over on your wage if you don't have a degree. A B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Information Systems is preferred, but they want to see that you've gone to college before they treat you like a professional.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    poortechpoortech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, it seems to be hard, I try to get my MCSE first
    MCSA, A+
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I strongly encourage you to accept a help desk position. You are going to spend a lot of time obtaining an MCSE, and you are still going to get stuck in help desk.

I've said this more than once on these boards. Being an MCSE without enterprise-level experience is not going to get you into a network or systems admin role. You need experience. Find a job where you can get experience, and take it.

The IT climate has changed in the last few years, partly due to the economy, partly due to brain ****, partly due to dishonest recruitement at universities. Certifications and degrees to not make you qualified to run a network, let alone an entire IT department. Certifications and degrees get you past the dumb HR lady who knows nothing about IT. Experience is what is going to get you a large paycheck.

For you, I recommend as your number one priority that you find a help desk or similar role immediately, and continue studying the MCSE to make yourself more marketable when you have the experience to move up. If you refuse to take this approach you are going to find yourself extremely frustrated with the difficulties in finding gainful employment.

Best of luck. :)
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    APPLY, APPLY, APPLY!! I've always said that on these forums and it has worked for me!

Some say that you need experience before getting a Systems/Network Admin/Engineer position. How will you get that experience working Help Desk...especially if you are working in a Call Center. It is going to take your degree and certifications to get you in the door to that interview, and then it is up to you to convince that organization to give you an opportunity to use what you have studied hard to get. That is how you will get the experience. Even if you get a Desktop Support position and you have a fellow Systems Engineer that shows you some things or allows you to do some things, it is still someone giving you an opportunity to gain the experience since you don't have it...plain and simple. We aren't born with it, and we all eitehr work for ourselves or someone has taken a chance with us without having that job related experience initially.

Keep studying, working hard, and applying. Someone will give you an opportunity to get the experience so you can get those jobs at 80K+.

Good luck!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I truly understand how you feel. I was where you are not too long ago. But in my last job, I was a sr. helpdesk guy and I use to stay questioning the admins. Whenever we did an upgrade, I was there, even if I was just watching. Once I got my CCNA, they actually started letting me touch the stuff. Just recently I was able to leave that company and move into a Jr. Network Engineer position with another company and I am happy and learning alot. My manager told me one reason I stood out in my interview was that he could tell I was hungry. So just stay "hungry" and you will reach your goal.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried going to job fairs? A kid in my class just got a call for an internship for six months (he doesnt even have associates yet and no certs) and they are paying 16 bucks an hour and they said if they like him they would keep him and pay more. I was blown away and regretted not giving my resume to them .
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably your next step would be systems administrator. Maintaining users/groups security.
    group policy deployments etc..
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PC Tech = Desktop > move forward to Helpdesk (Tier 1 to 3)

Or

Network Tech

Or

System Admin (with programming skill)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn