multiple local area connections windows xp

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Ok, I will admint while I have a lot of windows experience I am really a unix/linux feller....

And I have done a lot of windows networking, but I have never had to deal with this situation...

Helping someone that works from home some days and at the office others. Office uses dhcp and home is statics.

I was hoping to create something like:

local area connection1

and local area connection2

that could be enabled and disabled depending on where the laptop was at...

So I am not really able to figure this out...

I found this article, but would prefer some suggestions from my brilliant friend on this forum:

http://www8.pair.com/dmurdoch/netsh.html

anyone got a better solution than the one listed above?

thanks
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Try using the Alternate Configuration tab on the networking properties.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    how do you get the alternate config tab to appear??? I don't have one?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Looks like the primary IP addressing tab must be DHCP for the alternate tab to appear:

Note If your network card is not set to Obtain an IP address automatically, you will not see a tab for Alternate Configuration. You must be using automatic addressing on the primary configuration to have an alternate.
    Duh, my bad for not knowing this one...

Ok, so is it possible to switch back from alt config and main config from the command line?

Thanks again for your suggestions.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    When the primary connection is not available (IE It cannot contact the DHCP Server) it will use the Alternative Settings.
    You can use the Alternate Configuration functionality if you use a mobile computer at your office and at your home. When you are in the office, the computer uses a DHCP-allocated TCP/IP configuration. When you are at home (where you do not have access to a DHCP server), the computer automatically uses the alternative configuration.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    That is spiffy,

I read that it takes like 60 seconds for it to timeout on the preliminary connection....

Can that be adusted?

Thanks