Options

IT Support for a "Charity Company"

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
IT Pro's,

I am trying to think of good reasons as to why an IT professional would want to work for a charity company?

Apart from the obvious "I wish to help".

Can someone please help?

Many Thanks.

Raj :)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It could be a way to break into the field and gain experience.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    It could be a way to break into the field and gain experience.

+1

Was it you that was asking about how to gain experience if nobody will hire you because the lack of inexperience? A lot of people ask that, so I forget who it was. Either way, YES charity work is a great place to GAIN GOOD EXPERIENCE and you finally have something to put on your resume other than your name and certs/degrees.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even an experienced IT professional can gain experience from working with a charity company. You probably will end up fooling around with different software and learning things that you wouldn't normally learn just messing with your lab at home.

Social networking

The "good" feeling

Opportunity to try other careers, experience new things, or even travel. It all depends on the company.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure what you are referring to by charity company. If you mean working for a charity organization, it does not necessarily mean that the employees are not paid. Sometimes they are all volunteer organizations, or they may not pay there employees well, but if you need experience it could be a place to start.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doing some work for free can provide you just enough experience to break into a paid position.

This is especially true in today's climate, and is especially true if you know your stuff, but just can't prove it on your resume.
  • Options
    No Guys! What I meant by why would an IT pro want to work for a charity company is for the long term reasons...

For example: If the IT manager or CEO ask you "Why a Charity Company?" Then I would not say because I need experience or other reasons...

I mean why a charity???

Sorry guys, If I did not explain properly! Had a long F*cking day!

OK, TRY ANSWER NOW GUYS... :)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't say you needed the experience... Say that you wanted the experience and that with it being a good cause just seemed like the best choice in my life at the time. Explain what you learned in working for them.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That would be something you have to answer. We cannot tell you why you want to work there. I know my reason, but based on principle, I'm not going to give it to you for you to use. Sorry.
  • Options
    The bottom line is, I want to get my foot in the door, get real hands on experience, meet other IT professionals and learn from them, long term I am not to sure...

But I cant seem to think why a charity company???

Thank you guys for all your help! :)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Why a charity company? So your boss can tell you year after year that people aren't donating enough money for you to get a raise.
  • Options
    nl wrote:
    Why a charity company? So your boss can tell you year after year that people aren't donating enough money for you to get a raise.

LOL...Thats funny!!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    That would be something you have to answer. We cannot tell you why you want to work there. I know my reason, but based on principle, I'm not going to give it to you for you to use. Sorry.

I dont expect you to answer the questions for me in complete detail, but some hints and tips would be very helpful. This is why I have posted this thread.

Thank you for your post!
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Since charities usually are much more budget constrained, develop a migration to open source software and utilities. It would be a great experience to put on your resume, and save them some money.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    My boss tells me that there's no money for raises until all the staff members donate X amount so they can get enough to build a new building, then when the building is done, they'll beef up raises. It's a freakin racket.

Yes, I work for a charity.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I have a well known charity as a client. They can't afford any new hardware. Any money they can cut to go to the kids, they do. Not a bad thing per say, but if you are going there thinking you will get transferable experience to another firm. You won't get much.

You will be working alot on old equiptment, nothing cutting edge. IT budget is the first to get slashed.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    shon541 wrote:
    Since charities usually are much more budget constrained, develop a migration to open source software and utilities. It would be a great experience to put on your resume, and save them some money.

"Develop a migration to open source software and utilities"

What does this mean? Could you please explain? :)
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    RS_MCP wrote:
    No Guys! What I meant by why would an IT pro want to work for a charity company is for the long term reasons...

For example: If the IT manager or CEO ask you "Why a Charity Company?" Then I would not say because I need experience or other reasons...

I mean why a charity???

Sorry guys, If I did not explain properly! Had a long F*cking day!

OK, TRY ANSWER NOW GUYS... :)

My two answers would be: "Why not?" and "Because I want to" - IT is IT no matter what industry you're in, it's just the difference in the implementation :) Besides you can ask that about any job really :)

-ken