Application directory partitions & DNS replication

Spacer_08Spacer_08 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, wow second post of today. Im finding some topics a little hard with this module as I actually have no work experience with server/network administration.

Ok so would someone be able to give me an example of how application directory partitions work, and how they're linked with DNS? The MS press book touches lightly on the subject.

A) What type of data do application directory partitions store?

B) How is DNS linked with the replication of application specific data? (why isnt the data stored on the application server itself)

C) I understand that there are 2 default zones (DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones) so if a company has a number of applications that they use, but they dont want all of the applications data to be replicated together.. custom application directory partitions should be made correct?

And also, I understand that application directory partitions are given FQDN's.

Thanks in advance! icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    A) What type of data do application directory partitions store? Zone data the actual zones are stored in an application directory partition. Which is is in the book

C) I understand that there are 2 default zones (DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones) so if a company has a number of applications that they use, but they dont want all of the applications data to be replicated together.. custom application directory partitions should be made correct

This is correct

I believe it is also used for 2000 server and NT server. I could be wrong but i know 2000 server does not see forest transfers so you can create an application directory and replicate that with different dc's

If iam wrong please correct for me
    On the road to MCITP......
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Think of application directory partitions as containers for data that is replicated throughout AD.

If you're using Active Directory integrated zones, you can store the data on all DCs in a domain (which you need to do if you're using Windows 2000 DNS servers), DNS servers in the domain, DNS servers in the forest, or a specific application directory partition.

As far as DNS goes, creating an application directory partition just allows you to have more granular control over which servers the data is replicated to. You have to enlist DCs for that application directory partition, it doesn't just apply to all DCs. The data will only replicate to DCs which have been enlisted for that partition.

Edit:
    Here's some further reading:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/ed363e83-c043-4a50-9233-763e6f4af1f21033.mspx?mfr=true
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/6c0515cf-1719-4bf4-a3c0-7e3514cef6581033.mspx?mfr=true
  • Spacer_08Spacer_08 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. I understand what you're saying, I'm just struggling to figure out how this is really linked to DNS. After checking the further reading links, it gave an example to say that application partitions store application specific data such as TAPI (which is configuraiton for telephone/dial up or whatever) so again, what does this have to do with name resoloution.

Thanks again guys, I just get stuck on silly little things sometimes!
    Directory partitions are where data is stored in AD. For example, each domain has a directory partition that stores the users, groups, etc. for that domain.

The ones involved with this discussion are just where the zone data is stored when you're using AD integrated zones. There's really nothing more to it than that. The DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones are built-in directory partitions, and you can add a custom application directory partition if you need more granular control over which DNS servers the data is replicated to.

If you were not using AD integrated zones, the data would be replicated to other DNS servers through traditional zone transfer methods, and the data would be stored in a text file on the DNS server.

This might help give you a better idea of how AD is structured: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/566e9a19-654f-4f79-a36b-b9d8b2377d8a1033.mspx?mfr=true
  • Spacer_08Spacer_08 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Dynamik, thanks very much for clearing that up. I really thought there was more to it than that, god knows why.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm going to start into the 293 today. Dynamik, when are you taking your tests?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    291 later this month because they were full and 293 on Cinco de Mayo drunken_smilie.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    291 later this month because they were full and 293 on Cinco de Mayo drunken_smilie.gif

not that im trying to raise this post from the dead, but let us know how you get on dynamik! Im starting to get the 291 jitters, must mean my exam is coming up soon... icon_study.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security