VPN server and client on vista Ultimate

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I posted this in the vista exam forum, but it's probably not an exam topic

i'm trying to st up a VPN connection

I have a PC running vist ultimate at home which is the VPN server and I am trying to connect using a laptop running Ultimate from a remote location.

when I connect to using the connection, it seems to work fine but when I browse the network for shared drives so I can map to it. Non of the shared folders come up or the PC name itself for that matter?

I have permissions set up ok I think and I also have tcp over netbios enabled on the client as i read that this could cause it not to work.

anyway any ideas?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Domain or workgroup?
    Firewall?
    Do you connect through a broadband router at your home and is it set up properly?

If you can give a little more information on your setup and what you did we'll try to help. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
    From the duplicate post:
    dynamik wrote:
    NetBIOS relies on broadcasts, and those might not be going over the VPN connection.

Can you access the shares if you use \\<ip address>\sharename?
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sorry i've left this post for a couple days I haven't had internet connection at home, so i can't test the VPN :) not my fault i swear my ISP have said the line is down! over 48hr now

anyway some more info:

I have an ADSL max connection with a belkin router port forwarding PPTP which is allowing the VPN connection.

I have the server giving out an IP address that is on the same subnet as the LAN at my home.

once the tunnel is up I can ping the server address and I can also RDP set up which works fine.

the work group is the default 'WORKGROUP' on both client and server.

I haven't tried brousing for the folder in explorer yet, i'll have to catch up on this one when my ISP get there act together.
    well I got my internet back :) only problem is my laptop is playing up now :)

I was sat at it the other day and the screen suddenly went all kinds of colours and then went black. I shut it down and then back up again and started getting errors saying 'display driver stopped working but has recovered' it did this about 4 times before going black again.

I thought there was a chance it could have been software related and I planned to reload th OS on it anyway, after doing a clean install it's just done it on me again so i'm guessing it's got a loose connnection or something, shame I like that thing :) just as well I got a new PC last week otherwise I would have been screwed for a system.

the laptops still in warrenty so i'll phone dell up about it but not looking forward to the 25 minute predicted wait on the phone to talk to a tech.
    VPN not working correctly.
    ISP goes down for over two days.
    Laptop display goes <poof>.

When it rains, it pours. icon_lol.gif
    sprkymrk wrote:
    VPN not working correctly.
    ISP goes down for over two days.
    Laptop display goes <poof>.

When it rains, it pours. icon_lol.gif

Certainly does, although I just got off the phone with dell and they're going to come replace my motherboard and graphics card tomorrow

The problem turned out to be a corrupt graphics card
    Then I can kill this VPN issue,