Options

Wireless: Is it damaging our tissues?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm reading a book on wireless technology and it mentions about wireless adverse impact on living tissues. I found this new study and I wonder if you believe wireless really affects our health.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/Study-Radiation-Change-Human-Tissue.aspx

Comments

• Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it helped, I'm sure we'd all have bionic Access Points on our back :^). It wouldn't surprise me if it causes cancer in some way, shape, or form.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I look at it like this, from the moment you were born you started dying. "Scientists" change their ideas on what is killing us more often than a lot of people change their underwear. One day a report comes out telling you that coffee/bread/water/vitamin c/blah blah blah/air is killing you or causing cancer and the next day they say to get as much as you can it may prolong your life. Bottom line, they have no clue so I'm going to pretty much do everything the same and roll with it.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over doing anything is usually never a good thing and I don't think all the wireless noise going on is helping.

However, I've always thought that since the sun makes a lot of noise so our bodies were built to resist many different waves from the sun. So they are stronger than you may think.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Frankly, I'm a little dissappointed in the media -- they've promised me certain death over the last 20 years, and are yet to deliver on any of these:

Nuclear Russia
    Power Line Radiation
    Africanized Bees
    Ebola
    E Coli
    Anthrax
    Shoe bombers
    Small Pox
    Asbestos
    Dirty Bombs
    Chernobyl
    DDT
    Nerve Gas
    Plane Hijacking
    Bird Flu
    Y2K

I'm starting to think It's all hype icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nl wrote:
    Frankly, I'm a little dissappointed in the media -- they've promised me certain death over the last 20 years, and are yet to deliver on any of these:

Nuclear Russia
    Power Line Radiation
    Africanized Bees
    Ebola
    E Coli
    Anthrax
    Shoe bombers
    Small Pox
    Asbestos
    Dirty Bombs
    Chernobyl
    DDT
    Nerve Gas
    Plane Hijacking
    Bird Flu
    Y2K

No. Those were just meant to distract you from the true threat. Sausage.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd be more worried about trichinosis.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    *Singing* I got myxomatosis! I got myxomatosis!!!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lets face it, if we worried about about all these where wud we end up? - a mental institution.

I just live for today (sounds corny i know!) and eat / drink what i like, when i like. aslong as it doesnt effect others i dont see any issues.

Besides the way things are going in the UK anything you enjoy will probably be outlawed and we will be forced to sing the "EU national anthem" and pledge our alliance to the barmy EU army - whilst they all put camera's in every toilet known to these isles icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote:
    lets face it, if we worried about about all these where wud we end up? - a mental institution.

I just live for today (sounds corny i know!) and eat / drink what i like, when i like. aslong as it doesnt effect others i dont see any issues.

Besides the way things are going in the UK anything you enjoy will probably be outlawed and we will be forced to sing the "EU national anthem" and pledge our alliance to the barmy EU army - whilst they all put camera's in every toilet known to these isles icon_lol.gif

The official line is that the power involved with wireless networks presents no significant risk to human health. From experience I can tell you that a former technical director with an outstanding degree in electronic and electrical engineering refused to roll wireless out in a company I used to work for as he had it on 'good' authority that it fries your brains.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Umm..on this topic.

Yeah, when I turn the wireless on on my laptop I immediately feel like I'm having heart palpitations. Wireless DOES DO something to you. Just have to wonder if it's harmful or not. I wonder if anyone else has these sort of symptoms with wireless use. I stay the hell away from it. Scares the **** out of me.
  • Options
    Umm..on this topic.

Yeah, when I turn the wireless on on my laptop I immediately feel like I'm having heart palpitations. Wireless DOES DO something to you. Just have to wonder if it's harmful or not. I wonder if anyone else has these sort of symptoms with wireless use. I stay the hell away from it. Scares the **** out of me.

funny because i can remember watching a documentary on the bbc about it last year. It was quite a story:

http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_8800465522_1800001_NT_eff495e2.HTM

or

http://www.ethical-insight.com/articles/981/

in the program it also went to either norway or sweden where people who suffer from ill effects have won the right for it to be classed as a medical condition or something. They took a woman from the UK who claims she was effected by a huge wireless massed next to her house and they took her to sweden or norway where people live miles away from anything in places that are apparently wireless free - they claimed that there condition was OK after moving out into the wilderness away from it all and this woman from the UK claimed she felt like that too when she went there.

I think the stupid bbc over did it this time but i would say its plausable to think there was damage to some extent, but we'll not find out until many years i guess.

• Options
    in fact, ive just found several articles that say the bbc's finding were incorrect!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/66235,panorama-report-on-wifi-was-misleading.aspx

Stupid BBC!

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah. I don't know what to do. If wireless keeps it progress I'm going to have to find a new career. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    You also need to consider the role a person's beliefs and attitudes affect their health and physical state. If a person convinces himself that wireless transmissions will slowly kill him, he might be putting himself in a constant state of arousal whenever he is around wireless equipment. This might be a slightly stressful experience if it only lasts for a short period of time, but it could have detrimental effects for longer durations (i.e. 5 8-hour days per week). This alleviation of psychological stress might explain why that woman's "symptoms" disappeared once she relocated.

If anyone is interested in learning more about this subject, I suggest that you read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Brain-Breakthrough-Discoveries-Healthy/dp/1883536170/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207237781&sr=8-1

The first couple of chapters delve into biology, but they can be skimmed, and the rest is an easy read.

CT: Don't worry about it. It's all in your mind ;)
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    dynamik wrote:
    he might be putting himself in a constant state of arousal whenever he is around wireless equipment.
    Is that a wireless antenna in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me. Pitching a wireless mast kind of scenario. Wow thats disturbing man.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nl wrote:

Nuclear Russia
    Power Line Radiation
    Africanized Bees
    Ebola
    E Coli
    Anthrax
    Shoe bombers
    Small Pox
    Asbestos
    Dirty Bombs
    Chernobyl
    DDT
    Nerve Gas
    Plane Hijacking
    Bird Flu
    Y2K

you forgot SARS...although im not sure it kills per say...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    hetty wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    he might be putting himself in a constant state of arousal whenever he is around wireless equipment.
    Is that a wireless antenna in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me. Pitching a wireless mast kind of scenario. Wow thats disturbing man.

I was referring to the nervous system, but you're welcome to interpret it however you wish icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    dynamik wrote:
    hetty wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I was referring to the nervous system, but you're welcome to interpret it however you wish icon_lol.gif
    Phew, it was just my dirty mind. :D
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    If you do a lot of research on wireless, yes the RF signals can cause blindness and other effects. I know a little to be dangerous, but no where near where I would like to be. I have been studying quite a bit because I am looking to implement a few Point to Point towers that can span 15 miles. 2.4ghz uses the same resonance as water, since we are made out of 98% water turning the gain up too high could defiantly cause problems. This is the same frequency that a microwave runs off of btw, so obviously too much gain and you could cook many things, including people. This is why we have FCC regulations to prevent some bonehead with a good idea but no clue what he is doing from hurting others.

Do I think its hurting us, most defiantly. Do I think we can prevent it? Defiantly not.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    *Singing* I got myxomatosis! I got myxomatosis!!!
    I think the Medical Love Song is a little too obscure, even for this crowd o'geeks. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TechJunky wrote:
    If you do a lot of research on wireless, yes the RF signals can cause blindness and other effects. I know a little to be dangerous, but no where near where I would like to be. I have been studying quite a bit because I am looking to implement a few Point to Point towers that can span 15 miles. 2.4ghz uses the same resonance as water, since we are made out of 98% water turning the gain up too high could defiantly cause problems. This is the same frequency that a microwave runs off of btw, so obviously too much gain and you could cook many things, including people. This is why we have FCC regulations to prevent some bonehead with a good idea but no clue what he is doing from hurting others.

Do I think its hurting us, most defiantly. Do I think we can prevent it? Defiantly not.

You also have to keep in mind that we're constantly being bombarded with things like background radiation and transmissions and/or radiation from AM and FM radio, television broadcasts, cordless telephones, microwaves (as you mentioned), cell phones, etc. Our bodies are quite resilient. We've been taking a lot for a long time, and there hasn't been any massive outbreaks of disease or cancer that is linked to any of this.

What are the details of those studies that cause blindness? More than likely, they blasted a few mice with some insanely powerful signal until they finally broke down. Is that representative of our exposure to wireless transmissions? As resilient as we are, we definitely have limits. A couple beers a day isn't going to hurt your liver, but a daily bottle of vodka will put you in rough shape in short order. Sitting in front of a high-gain antenna for 12 hours might mess me up over time. However, I'm really not too concerned about the WAP in my apartment. I want to see a study where they leave a Linksys WRT54G in a mouse cage for a couple of years and see if there are any disastrous occurrences.

Also, we're not 98% water.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    It isn't the wave themselves that produce the damage when you are talking about small quanities over extended time, but the free radicals that they produce within the body. Free radicals are also produced through our own metabolic processes, exercise, respiration, cell division, and other neccessary bodily functions. The interaction between free radicals and DNA is largely being looked at for causing cancer or other unwanted cell mutations. The more free radicals you have within your body the greater the risk is for unwanted cell mutations and damage to your cells/DNA taking place. Antioxidents (primarily found in Fruits/Vegetables) and and Enzymes (produced by the body, less so as you age). If someone isn't eating a variety of fruits/vegetables and is getting on in their years the potential for damage would be greater.

If you want to stop free radicals from being produced you could either stop living, or do the best you can to maintain a good diet and realize some things are outside of your control. While RF and other waves do produce free radicals, you have the mechanisms to deal with them and the better you do the better off you will be.

The study linked by binarysoul only contained 10 subjects and looked specifically at the skin, however a lot of larger and peer reviewed studies have been conducted and some things have been determined, while MUCH more still has never been tested.

Higher quantities or certain frequencies can cause many other types of damage to the body outside of the creation of free radicals such as through heating the body (similar to a microwave) or causing the brain to resonate. Our daily usage does not put us in this risk category at all.

Positive uses for RF waves on the human body have also been discovered, including to slow blood loss during surgical operations through a process known as RF Ablation or RF Assisted Surgery. One of the first operations to test it was the Hepatectomy due to severe blood loss working on livers in bad condition. They are also used in a lot of medical imaging procedures to determine problems with the body that need to be addressed.