Options

Using an already-in-use network

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Yeah, that topic's a little cryptic, eh?

Here's the deal... I have a branch (like all our branches) that has been given a /23 subnet. The particulars are that the 10.22.188.0 and 10.22.189.0 subnets have been combined, with 189.254 acting as gateway for the whole lot.

There aren't even 100 devices in the whole place, using only IP's in the 188.0 range. The problem is that most of the 100 (about 60 anyway) are statically set. We're about to roll out a new warehousing system that the CIO wants seperated from user traffic. He's recommended breaking up the /23 into two /24's.

I know I can use a vlan to break up the traffic, but I'd like to throw this out at the techies...

Rather than break the /23 up into two /24's, and have to visit every static machine to reset it's mask and gateway, AND since no IP's in the 189.0 range are currently in use, any reason that I can now create a /24 subnet in the 189 range, with the same gateway of 189.254, and call it a day?

There must be some complication preventing this... I just don't know what it is.

Thanks.
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.