Options

big time decision

livenliven Member Posts: 918
Ok....

I have a good job... But I have gotten a few offers for some pretty decent jobs.

Well today I got a contact for a VERY good job...

Currently I am security admin I get to work with linux, unix, windows, cisco and all kinds of other stuff....

The new job is a security job. But more of a vulnerability assessment type of job. So it is a lot less hands on type of work. It is still working with windows, unix and linux (I think some networking also), but just less admin/development more assesment/analysis type work... Using tools to find vulnerabilities, recommending solutions, evaluating firewalls and network configs.

The pros, a VERY good raise, much closer to home ( currently I have a very long commute) so I would save on gas and mills on my car.

Cons, I fear that I might lose some of my administration skills. I have been doing admin, networking, and development for years now. And for the last few yeas security administration and development.

So my question or request for input... Will doing mostly assesment, testing, evaluation work for a few years help or hurt me in the long run?

This job is a long time contract, years but not endless. It could lead to a per position, but guarantees...

Over the next few years my goals are to: finish CCSP, CISSP, some linux certs, and what ever else I have time for. I learn very quickly, have a good budget for gear, and lots of time to study....

Any suggestions?
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    If it is a huge salary jump, less thinking, less stress, closer to home, has potential to earn promotions and huge raises, etc., I would take it.

I had to make a similar decision a month ago...I'm not making 10K more doing 5% of the work I used to do as a Systems Admin/Engineer in my previous job. I have the job that I wanted eventually because I knew that I would eventually get burned out doing what I did year after year as a Systems Admin/Engineer. I'm now on track to manage System Engineers which will require less stress, less keeping up or worrying about every minute detail of a network, less hands-on with everything and getting called or emailed in the middle of the night for something that can't be resolved by a TEchnician working on 2nd or third shift, etc. I eventually wanted this type of job, but the road to it came sooner than I thought.

I too fear that I may lose/forget a lot of my Systems skills that I've attained from certification and experience in a few years or so if I'm not actively doing it everyday like I used to, but I always find ways to get my hands on stuff to play with, and offer my ideas/suggestions during conference calls or meetings although I don't hold that type of responsibility anymore. I'm not worried since I am pretty set that I will be staying with the Federal Government until I retire and my career path is leading me toward a managerial role instead of a technical.

Ultimately, I would think about what is best for you and your family. Is this a place where you see yourself for the long run? How is the environment compared to your last job? Co-workers? Promotion/Raise potential? Challenging? Long run versus short-run.

I would have not left my last job if I was basing things on the short run...loved everything about the job. They were using me to my full potential and everything I saw on those MS Exams (scenarios and setups that some say most won't ever see in real-life) were being presented to me in production. I would eventually get burned out by age 50 and there was no place to go up less technical except V.P. then CIO...those guys weren't going anywhere and even if I would take one of those positions, I would have had to move to another part of the country. New job is more money and almost endless potential for promotion, raises, and management opportunity. Rather than filling up once a week, I now fill up once every 2.5 weeks. No more 24/7 on-call (for now), more lax dress code, etc. were also pros to taking the new job amongst others.

Okay, I've rambled enough. I will end here. Good luck with whatever decision you make. If it is really hard, make a list and compare...choose what is most important out of the list and hopefully that will help with the decision.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Thanks bro!!!

I really am struggling with this one.

So all suggestions are very much appreciated.

P.S.

Good to hear that your happy with your new situation!!!
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    doesnt sound like a hard decision to me. The biggest hurdle is leaving your comfort zone.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote:
    doesnt sound like a hard decision to me. The biggest hurdle is leaving your comfort zone.

That was my feeling as well. Your list (if you can call one item a list ;)) of cons doesn't seem to compare to the pros at all. If you've been doing something for years, your skills aren't just going to disappear. Even if they get a bit rusty, is systems administration something you want to go back to? What do you ultimately want to be doing? Even if it's not permanent, I don't think you're going to have a difficult time finding another position with a CCSP, CISSP, and experience to back them up.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Someone who worked their way through engineering school digging ditches probably doesn't miss their shovel while they sit there designing a ditch that someone else gets to dig (or when they spend their significantly larger paycheck). icon_lol.gif

And worst case, if you have to go back to digging ditches, it probably would only take a couple of weeks of blisters before you have your callous back on your hands.

Is there anything left in your current job to learn that would make you even more valuable in the future than you already are now?

Is the new job something you think you would like to do? If you were offered the same $$$ to stay an admin, would you stay an admin (and retire as an admin) or would you still like to do the new job?

And then the reality check -- if the new job doesn't work out, would you be able to get back into as good an admin position as you currently have?

There is nothing wrong with being a career admin.... but if you want to move up, you got to step up.

But you also have to keep an eye on the economy. Back in 2002 there were lot of contracts that were offered/promised, but never happened. icon_sad.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    WOW

thanks guys!!!!

I have not gotten the job 100% so this could still fall through...

But,

It is a long time contract (5 years) with one of the biggest companies around (fortune 500 near the top)... So I am not worried about that part. Sure it will be some what of an adjustment, just a little less hands on. I do feel that doing this kind of work for a few years will really round out my skill set as a security professional. I have had years of systems, networking and development experience so if I complete some of my certification goals I don't think they will look like "paper" certs.

I just want to stay attractive on my resume in case I have to start looking around again. I am certain I could get a sys admin job in a heart beat as good probably better than what I have now pay wise.

Ok all I can say is thanks guys. If I get this job I am going to take it. Worst thing that can happen is the contract gets cut short (doubtful) or I don't like it (possible but unlikely).

Please everyone I don't want to come across as wishy washy, just trying to make the right decision. And I really respect and trust everyones thoughts and opinions here at this forum.

Thanks again everyone!

I
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck to you liven icon_exclaim.gif

I'd comment on my thoughts but everyone has brought up the thoughts that came to mind.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    liven wrote:
    WOW

thanks guys!!!!

I have not gotten the job 100% so this could still fall through...

But,

It is a long time contract (5 years) with one of the biggest companies around (fortune 500 near the top)... So I am not worried about that part. Sure it will be some what of an adjustment, just a little less hands on. I do feel that doing this kind of work for a few years will really round out my skill set as a security professional. I have had years of systems, networking and development experience so if I complete some of my certification goals I don't think they will look like "paper" certs.

I just want to stay attractive on my resume in case I have to start looking around again. I am certain I could get a sys admin job in a heart beat as good probably better than what I have now pay wise.

Ok all I can say is thanks guys. If I get this job I am going to take it. Worst thing that can happen is the contract gets cut short (doubtful) or I don't like it (possible but unlikely).

Please everyone I don't want to come across as wishy washy, just trying to make the right decision. And I really respect and trust everyones thoughts and opinions here at this forum.

Thanks again everyone!

I

Don't worry about the contract stuff...if it is a long term contract, and they decide to end it, it will probably be an ending relationship with the contractor, but not the employees unless they are ending the service all together. This is especially true in I.T. and given it is Security, I doubt they will risk bringing in a total new crew for the team. If anything, you will probably just get picked up by the new contractor, or the company would just pick you up and make you permanent if they decide to get rid of contracting period for this service. No worries :) ... if this was something else, my opinion probably would be different...i.e. Help Desk contracting.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)